RE: [DMCForum] Question for BTTF expert...now gigawatt

RE: [DMCForum] Question for BTTF expert...now gigawatt

This is from the other list and I saved it but unfortunately I removed the
original author of the email.  All disclaimers in place here including,
but
not limited to: I did not write it, do not own it, but if you want to pay
me
a sizeable chunk of money for it I will sell it to you and move to another
country.

The email:

I got an email recently asking if "jigawatt" was a real term, and what
terms were used to describe large numbers of watts. Well, is "jigawatt"
real? The answer is "yes" and "no"!
 At first I thought, like many fellow scientists, "Surely, Christopher
Lloyd
is just having fun with us! That's not how you pronounce gigawatt!"

Shortly thereafter, I got a nice laminated sheet from IUPAC with units and
prefixes on it. They took special care to point out that giga- (the
correct
spelling!) was pronounced with the first g as a hard g, and the second, as
soft one! According to my Merriam Webster's Collegiate Dictionary (1993)
the
first (preferred) pronunciation is " 'ji - ge " (as in  jiggle) and the
alternative pronunciation is " 'gi - ge  " (as in giggle).

Just to add fuel to the fire, fish have gills (as in giggle), but I drink
beer by the gill (as in jiggle or jill).   A gill is 4 fluid ounces, 118.3
ml in the US and 142.1 ml in the UK.
(Thanks to Keith Oldham for pointing this out to me some years ago!)