Re: [DMCForum] loweedr front DMC profile

Re: [DMCForum] loweedr front DMC profile

Mike,

This is definitely a question to be answered over a 6 pack of beer because
the more I think about it the more I have to say...

I lowered my front with PJ Grady springs, and I have no complaints about
scraping bottom.  The front wheel-well clearance is the same front, top &
back -- just the way it was originally designed to be.  If I park on level
ground, the front jack points are at the same height as the rears.  Yes,
you
are more apt to damage something if you pull all the way up to a curb when
parking.  You shouldn't do that anyway.  And you can also scrape a bit on
steep driveways, but if you learn to take them diagonally one wheel at a
time then you are less apt to scrape.  Aftermarket skid plate anyone?  The
guy who punctured his radiator may have lowered his car excessively.
Spring
sets are sold according to how much lower you want to go.  To put the car
proper specs, ask for a pair that lower the car only 1.5".

There are two types of kits that lower the front end.  One type is what
DMC/Texas sells and is a replacement for all 4 springs (two front & two
back).  The other type is what everyone else sells and only replaces the
front.  It is all a matter of opinion and personal preference & wallet
size
on which setup you prefer.

Most people think that the OEM rear height is just fine.  You have to take
the rear springs off anyway if you change the shock absorbers.  All of the
rear shocks that I've seen for sale (except for what DMC/Texas sells) have
rear height adjustment built-in anyway.

Replacing the rear shocks/springs is easy.  Replacing the front shocks is
also easy.  But replacing the front springs can be a royal pain depending
on
your spring compressor.  If you buy Marty Maier's shock kit, he may loan
you
his compressor which everyone says works great.  I would like to buy one
of
that model if I knew where he got it.  Anyone?

I think I paid around $180 for a pair of PJ Grady front springs and around
$400 for his gas charged shock absorbers.  I have mixed feelings about the
setup.  I have no complaints about the front springs.  When new they
looked
as high as OEM but quickly settled after 100 miles or so of driving.  The
PJ
Grady shocks are far better than OEM but probably the stiffest aftermarket
shocks out there.  This is great for the front end because it helps stop
from scraping bottom and your butt isn't riding up there anyway to notice.
But the rear shocks are a different matter.  If you like a sport
suspension
then fine.  Otherwise they transmit more vibration to the driver than I
like
(but still less than OEM).  That's fine for short trips but more tiresome
for extended driving.  My other complaint about the rear shocks is that
they
squeak like an engine compartment full of squirrels.  Rob might have made
improvements since I bought mine.  But the noise is distracting enough
that
I'm going to replace them with something different.

Walt