From: Stragand, Dave [mailto:dave.stragand@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, November 07, 2002 4:42 PM
To: DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [DMCForum] Humor - finding parts locally

Similar with -every- car I own... See the quotes of the week on my
www.projectvixen.com site.

For instance, On Tue, 16 Jun 1998, Dave Stragand wrote:

This exchange took place between me and an AutoZone employee this
evening...

ME: "I need front and rear transmission seals for a 1958 Plymouth with a
Torqueflite."
AZ: "Hmmm... The computer says there weren't any Plymouths built before
1962."
ME: "The computer is wrong.  Do you have a -book- that shows the seals?
I can look it up myself, if you'd like."
AZ: "Are you sure it's not a '62?"
ME: "Yes. Very sure."
AZ: "Then it's not a Plymouth. They didn't make them until 1962.  What
model is it again?"
ME: "A Savoy. A PLYMOUTH Savoy. 1958."
AZ: "I thought you said it was a 'Witchy Tork Fly' or something..."
ME: "WITH A TORQUEFLITE.  The transmission is a Torqueflite.
Torqueflite. 3 speed. PLYMOUTH. The model is a Savoy. 1958."
AZ: "Hmmm... 58... 58... Oh!  It's an Oldsmobile, not a Plymouth."
ME: "No, I'm very sure it's a Plymouth."
AZ: "Well, it's an Oldsmobile, actually. Like the Ninety-Eight."
ME: "Do you have a manager around here somewhere? Anywhere? Please?"
AZ: "Hmmm.. The computer isn't showing any 3 speed transmissions for a
1998 Oldsmobile... and they don't list that model, either..."
ME: "1958... PLYMOUTH... SAVOY... WITH... A... 3... SPEED...
TORQUEFLITE... TRANSMISSION..."
AZ: "I'm sorry, sir, they didn't make the Plymouth until 1962..."
ME: "LISTEN CAREFULLY. Do you have a manager around here somewhere?"
AZ: "Why?  Is there something wrong?"

The manager laughed his butt off for a while, and then helped me look
through the seals one by one, until we found the correct ones -- about
five minutes later.