Re: [DMCForum] Stereo wiring diagram

Adam,

When I installed the Alpine unit in my car, my initial goal was to install
it in such a way that I could put the original radio back in without
having
any cut or spliced wires.  Once I got into it, I realized this was not a
goal worth pursuing.

If you want to leave your car's wiring untampered with, you may be able to
find an adapter that will fit what the Craig plugs into.  Radio Shack
sells
wiring conversion kits meant for certain make cars, so one of them might
fit
the DeLorean.  You could reuse the connector on your Craig, but then you
lower the value of a radio that is already pretty worthless.  I recommend
just doing away with the OEM connector since a new radio should come with
connector of its own.  And you don't need two connectors in series.

Oh, you asked for a diagram.  All of the speaker wires are black, so a
wiring diagram here won't help.  You know that for each pair, the wire
with
the white stripe is the "+" side of the speaker.  And with the center
console out, it is obvious to see which speaker each wire goes to.  On my
car, the radio looked like it was installed totally as an afterthought.
Like, "Okay, the car is finished.  Ooops, we forgot to run speaker wires."
The green wire with the white stripe is switched with the ignition so that
it turns the radio off when the car is off.  This line has an inline fuse
in
the dash, so remember it is there if you need to troubleshoot.  The
purple/pink?/violet? wire (was Lucas colorblind?) is on all the time and
keeps the memory presets working.  Chances are you will not reuse the
purple
wire because newer radios also use this lead to power the amps which can
draw so much current that they typically need a lead (unswitched) that can
supply 20 amps.  This little purple wire can't do that.  This would be
replaced by probably a yellow wire with an inline fuse that you can plug
onto the door lock module breaker using a 1/4" female spade lug connector.
This way you don't have to hack any wires in the relay compartment.  The
new
radio will probably have a blue wire to power the antenna motor and
another
wire (probably also blue and/or has a white trace) that would activate an
external amp if you use one.  All this would be explained in the
instructions with the new radio (if you have them).

Let us know how it works out.

Walt