[DMCForum] OEM door lock module Q&A

This is a long boring response to some technical questions that someone
asked me about the door lock module.  Some of you might find this
interesting.  This was in response to my original post on the DML, Theory
of
operation (was Diode in Lock Module):

QUESTIONS:
My question based on your findings:

Yellow diode blew. Have you come up with a replacement since you wrote
your
article??
If the diode is protection, would the door locks work without it??
If not, are there any other parts that could be replaced that would have
been damaged??

Here is the lock modification link that I plan to use:

ftp://dmcnews.com/pub/lockmod91.pdf

ANSWERS:
> Have you come up with a replacement since you wrote your article??

No, I'm using the LockZilla with the optional Zilla remote.  So I haven't
been motivated to refurbish my OEM module.  The diode burns out because it
is too weak for the job.  I suggest replacing it with something that can
handle a lot of current without being excessively bulky.  I would choose
one
by just going to Radio Shack and picking one off the wall that looks good.

> If the diode is protection, would the door locks work without it??

Yes, certainly.  The diode can only supply protection against
reverse-polarity surges.  If you tried to use a diode the other way, it
would conduct the battery voltage to ground and burn out.  Think of a
diode
as a one-way valve for electricity.  As it is used in the door lock
module,
it works great for shunting reverse-polarity surges but totally ignores
forward-polarity surges.  A diode is unable to tell the difference between
battery voltage (+12 volts) and a positive surge (something greater than
+12
volts but likely not more than +100 volts).  I'm curious to walking into a
custom car audio shop to see if they sell any general purpose surge
protectors that would protect positive as well as negative surges.

I hope I haven't lost you in the technical jargon.  The diode is primarily
protecting the rest of the door lock module, but it also protects the
whole
car per se.  Even while the car is not running, the diode is still
connected
across the battery.  You could put a dozen of these diodes at different
points throughout the car and it wouldn't make much of a difference.  The
diode tends to protect the devices that it is closest to.  This is the
nature of surges.  They can happen very quickly and tend to act kind of
like
lightening.  You never know what path lightening will take, but the path
it
does take is generally the shortest one.  In comparison, a diode at the
power input to a device tends to shunt spikes going into the module.  It
also shunts spikes generated within the module.

> If not, are there any other parts that could be replaced that would have
been damaged??

Not likely.  The most sensitive parts in any device are the semi-conductor
junctions.  These include other diodes & transistors.  So in the case of
the
door lock module, the most likely ones to be damaged are the transistors
driving the relays.  It has been a while since I looked at the link:
> ftp://dmcnews.com/pub/lockmod91.pdf

At the time I glanced it over and have not yet read all of it.  I trust
that
the transistor that the author suggests for replacement is well suited for
the job.  In fact, there are probably dozens of readily available
transistors that would make fine replacements.  To choose one on your own,
you need to be familiar with how to read the cross-over books to make a
reasonable choice.  If the transistors in your module work, you are
probably
just as well to leave them alone.

The fatal flaw that I noticed in ftp://dmcnews.com/pub/lockmod91.pdf is
that
the author replaced the relays with ones that weren't much better.  I
remember him stating that he was planning on replacing these relays
occasionally as a maintenance issue which to me sounds ridiculous.  Fix it
right the first time and be done with it forever more!

The fatal flaw with the design of the OEM module is that the relays
de-energize slowly meaning that the contacts open gradually.  In the
process, this allows the current they carry to spark & arc which does
unacceptable harm to them in short order.  I have heard of two fixes that
are reasonable.  I'll explain them as follows:

Method 1: Keep the OEM relays or equivalent ones in there, but instead of
having them drive the door lock solenoids, have them drive larger relays
instead.  Then these larger relays drive the solenoids.  How this is an
improvement is that even though the original relays are still switched
slowly, they are switching much less current because they are only driving
slightly larger relay instead of the solenoid.  So the original relay's
contacts will last considerably longer.  Since the larger relay is being
switched by the smaller relay, there are no problems with the contacts of
it
releasing slowly and burning.  To me this seems like an acceptable fix but
is a little too much of a Rube Goldberg contraption for my tastes.

Method 2: This one is promoted by Martin Gutkowski.  The fix is to replace
the weak OEM relays with better ones that are hermetically sealed (air
tight
with inert gas inside).  Even though the relay contacts are still released
slowly which promote arching, the contacts have no flammable air around to
burn them.  I consider this an elegant fix and admire Martin's ability to
have thought this through.

The last I heard, Martin was offering for people to send him their old
modules for upgrades using the sealed relays he found.  He was willing to
do
this at minimal cost.  You might want to ask him about it.  Or if you are
handy with a soldering iron, maybe he can tell you where he found those
relays as I know sealed ones are rather unusual and hard to find.

Many people got tired of this discussion on the DML, so at my suggestion
Martin started an alternate Yahoo news group titled DeLorean Electrics.  I
suggest you subscribe to this list and read the archives since it will
tell
you more about upgrading the relays.

A while back I had a falling out with the DML moderators with their
precarious & inconsistent standards and started an unmoderated newsgroup,
the DMCForum.  I invite you to subscribe & participate.  For now the only
way to subscribe is to the unmoderated version through Yahoo.  Soon
members
will have the option of subscribing to a moderated & highly organized
digest
version with the goal that it will make topic threads easy to follow.
The link for it is at:

There is a prototype of the DMCForum official web site at:
http://216.167.99.38/

It is just a shell of a website now, but the authors are still writing it.
Check it out.

Walt