Re: [DMCForum] need help

> He has a moisture leak on the carpets - both
> driver's and passenger side.

If the car has a manual transmission, it is possible that the dampness on
the drivers side is from leaking clutch fluid.  Moisture on the passenger
side can be expected due to condensate forming on the outside of the a/c
housing.

I currently have the housing out of my dash while I replace the
evaporator,
so I'm taking pictures and making notes for a technical page.  If the
drain
backs up far enough while the movement of the car causes water in there to
slosh, then drips can make it to the drivers side front floor.  So it is
possible for a clogged drain to wet both sides of the car.

> Where is the a/c drain plug located?

There is no drain "plug" unfortunately.  I have heard of people cutting a
hole in the a/c housing under the dash to provide access to clean out the
drain, but this seems like over-kill to me.

To make sure that the drain line is unobstructed and working properly, you
will need to find both ends of it.  This line is an otherwise straight
flexible hose with a 90 degree bend under the dash where it hooks to the
bottom of the a/c housing.  This point is located on the passenger side of
the car just over the passenger side of the fiberglass underbody's center
hump.  You may need to pull the carpet back to see it.  It is such a tight
fit that there is no point in trying to disconnect it.  That is the reason
for people cutting an access hole next to it.

The other end of the line is easy to find provided that the factory didn't
goof.  I've worked on a goofed car already.  The drain line is supposed to
run along the left side of the frame and terminate at about the point
where
the pair of flexible fuel lines hook to the metal lines at the frame.  The
end should allow condensate to drip between the frame and the right front
wheel.  You can access this point either by removing the fuel pump access
cover under the spare tire or by jacking the car up and taking the wheel
off.  I prefer to attack it from the top.

It is not uncommon for this line to terminate in the wrong place.  At
least
several cars were assembled such that the line instead points toward the
drivers side of the car where it is pinched between the fiberglass
underbody
and the fuel tank.  If this is the case, it will be a challenge to reach
in
there and pull it out without having to remove the fuel tank.

Unless you are a surgeon with probing lenses, there is no way to see if
the
elbow at the  housing is unclogged.  Use a piece of coat hanger or similar
wire to stick through the end of the line to drag out any debris you can
with it.  It helps to bend a loop in the end and make sure it doesn't poke
through the line or snag.

You may want to try back flushing with a garden hose.  But it is very easy
to flood the front floor doing this.  (Ask me how I know. :-)  The owner
of
the car was watching under the dash while I turned the hose on.  We were
expecting to see it drip from the passenger side, but instead it poured
from
the drivers side.  For future reference, I plan to measure how much water
the housing will hold so that we will know just how much backflushing it
would take before flooding.  It is probably around a liter.

The way the system is designed presents some interesting problems.  Leaves
enter the housing via the grille below the windshield.  These dump in on
top
of the blower and accumulate on the input side of the evaporator.  For
debris to make it to the drain, it has to filter through the evaporator.
And of course it is bad to have it continually sit in a damp heap of
compost.  To make things even worse, there is a wire mesh screen on the
drain side to insure that larger particles stick in the evaporator.

Remove the blower motor and reach your hand through the hole to dig out
any
leaves you find.  Be careful not to damage the blower motor resistor pack.
>From the outside it appears as a group of wires terminating on the a/c
housing next to the blower.  From inside, it is a bundle of delicate
air-cooled coils of resistive wire.  You may prefer to remove the two
screws
holding it in to get it out of the way.  It unplugs from the wires, but
rust
may have seized it on.  If it works, there is no point in breaking it
trying
to take it apart.  As you reach your hand through the blower hole toward
the
center of the car, you will feel the evaporator oriented at an angle.  Be
careful not to bend the delicate fins.  If you have never seen one, it
looks
similar to a condenser coil or radiator.  Scoop as much of the compost as
you can out of there using your fingers.  It is not possible to reach the
drain from the blower motor hole because the evaporator totally blocks the
path.

Let us know what you find.  We are getting ready to put up a web page full
of technical procedures.  You are welcome to contribute.

Walt

Looking for a more powerful website? Try GeoCities for $8.95 per month.
Register your domain name (http://your-name.com). More storage! No ads!
http://geocities.yahoo.com/ps/info
http://us.click.yahoo.com/aHOo4D/KJoEAA/MVfIAA/HliolB/TM