[DMCForum] Re: Fixing Andrei's Engine [OT]

[DMCForum] Re: Fixing Andrei's Engine [OT]

I can fix that...

Seriously, my biggest objection to 1970's emissions is the Rube
Goldberg way manufacturers went about it. Studying one of those vacuum
diagrams gives me a headache. All it takes is one leaking check or
delay valve to render the car undriveable. Ford used both hot and cold
ported vacuum switches, and woe to the owner who got them backwards.
Just give me one vacuum line (ported from the carburetor) straight to
my distributor and I'm happy.

If the old model engines upset Uncle Sam so much, manufacturers should
have put them to rest rather than strangling them with all this add on
crap.

On the plus side -- it is very easy to remove it all and return an
engine back to its original design (less square bore carb, flat top
pistons, and low/closed chamber heads of course).

I also plug the EGR port, which after 100,000 miles has so much soot
and carbon built up as to basically have plugged itself anyway.

Breakerless ignition *IS* cool. I converted my 1969 model engine to a
neat little unit Pertronix puts out. Mounts inside the distributor
where the points used to be. Allowed me to keep the original advance
curve, which is probably the only aspect of that engine that could
make Martin happy.

Re: excessive metal in big blocks -- you're not supposed to be able to
hold one up towards the sun and see light shining though...

Bill Robertson