[DMCForum] Horsepower Defined For Jim

Most laypeople when they hear the word "horsepower" envision a team of
horses pulling a wagon -- 300 horsepower = 300 horses hooked together
charging across the prarie. That's altogether the wrong vision: they
should envision one horse hooked to an old wooden gear turning it in a
circle (which is where the calculation came from in the 1800's BTW).
Horsepower is how many revolutions that horse could make within a
certain time. Or another way to look at it would be the length of time
necessary for that horse to make a certain number of revolutions.
Translated into car terms, it is the ability of an engine to rotate
itself. A higher horsepower engine can rev higher, and do so faster,
than one with less horsepower.

Notice we haven't mentioned what KIND of horse this is -- is it a big
strong Clydesdale or a little circus pony? Makes a big difference in
what rotating that wheel actually accomplishes. That's torque: the
amount of power created by turning something, like a crankshaft. A
higher torque engine can exert more force on the drive train with each
revolution than a lower torque one.

Horsepower is important because it measures the RPMs through which an
engine is effectively producing power, and how quickly it gets there.
Torque is important because it measures how much power is actually
being produced by those RPMs.

My 460's are high torque gasoline engines. Low compression produces
425 lbs. I believe high compression (I have one of those too) is
450-475. Each revolution translates a lot of power to the wheels. But
the effective RPM range in which this is possible is rather small.
Maximum torque is produced at 2500 RPM, and drops off sharply
thereafter. By 4000 it's off the bottom of the charts. I may only have
210 horsepower (low compression), but can accelerate 0-60 effortlessly
because the engine never leaves its power band (the neighborhood of
2500 RPM). If I were to force the car into 1st gear and try the same,
0-60 would take much longer, and by the time the engine reached high
RPMs all it would be making is noise (a LITTLE power would still be
produced of course, but certainly nothing like it was making several
thousand RPMs ago).

Bill Robertson

>--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Jim Strickland <ihaveanaccount@xxxx>
wrote:
> i would call horsepower the true measure of an engine's power.
hence the