Re: [DMCForum] ATTN: no one

> Jim Strickland (who enlisted Martin to back him up) claims that
> advancing ignition time ALWAYS leads to increased HP, and that the
> ideal point of spark is at the threshhold of detonation. I couldn't
> disagree more.

yes, i am paying him to agree with me.  If you agree with me too i will
pay you.  Just agree that lowering compression increases horsepower and
your trip to the darkside will be complete.  I never said that advancing
will always lead to HP increase, though i will say that advancing (until
knocking!) will in most if not all cases lead to higher PEAK horsepower.

> The reason I mentioned Martin by name was because he recently
> referenced a URL (on the List) that supports MY assertion: advancing
> ignition time does not necessarily lead to increased HP. I was
> amazed,
> after the thorough drumming I received over that very issue, that he
> then referenced an online article that claims I was correct in the
> first place!

Ah, so you don't agree with my interpretation of martin's website?
Interesting that you won't comment on it, but continue to claim that you
are correct.  message 9744.  It basically says that you misinterpreted
what was on the site and are still wrong. ;(

> Just so everyone's clear: I have Lincoln Mark V's from 1977 and 1978
> with 460 inch engines. The engines and distributor bodies are
> identical -- look them up in the big NAPA engine master book. The
> only difference between these two years is specified base ignition
time:
> 13 degrees BTDC in 1977 and 16 degrees BTDC in 1978. In this one
> instance at least, advancing the spark LOWERED published HP (from 212
to 210
> if I'm remembering correctly).
> Advancing ignition time does not ALWAYS lead to more HP.

Is this at idle or at peak hp?

Jim

Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!

click here