[DMCForum] ATTN: John Dore

It's really quite simple:

Jim Strickland (who enlisted Martin to back him up) claims that
advancing ignition time ALWAYS leads to increased HP, and that the
ideal point of spark is at the threshhold of detonation. I couldn't
disagree more.

Jim also claims that lowering the compression ratio INCREASES HP (I
still can't believe he's truly serious about this). Needless to say I
couldn't disagree more. Hopefully Martin does NOT agree with Jim about
this.

The reason I mentioned Martin by name was because he recently
referenced a URL (on the List) that supports MY assertion: advancing
ignition time does not necessarily lead to increased HP. I was amazed,
after the thorough drumming I received over that very issue, that he
then referenced an online article that claims I was correct in the
first place!

Just so everyone's clear: I have Lincoln Mark V's from 1977 and 1978
with 460 inch engines. The engines and distributor bodies are
identical -- look them up in the big NAPA engine master book. The only
difference between these two years is specified base ignition time: 13
degrees BTDC in 1977 and 16 degrees BTDC in 1978. In this one instance
at least, advancing the spark LOWERED published HP (from 212 to 210 if
I'm remembering correctly).

Advancing ignition time does not ALWAYS lead to more HP.

Bill Robertson