Re: [DML] New JZD engine?

Martin,

The engine I find most compelling at the moment is from Liquid Piston: http://liquidpiston.com/technology/how-it-works/

2 hp/lb and only two moving parts. Potentially 40% efficient (78% theoretical). An MIT spinoff.

Don

On 12/03/2014 08:39 AM, Martin Gutkowski martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx [dmcnews] wrote:

Axial engines are not new. The biggest problem isn't in the strength of
the components but the configuration of the valves. You can't use a
camshaft if the valves are arranged in a ring ;) Alternatives are lossy
and rely on sliding sealing surfaces which therefore promote oil loss.

Interestingly, the drawings show the use of Michel type slipper pads as
opposed to the more common conrod design.

I researched this type of piston machine for a university project some
years ago. the animation we produced for our presentation is still on
YouTube - this shows several components removed to display the action of
the Michell slippers in our 10-piston double acting air compressor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Os2A13dAGzg

If you can make one work, they are one of the most compact engine types,
and the swashplate doesn't have to be perfectly flat meaning the piston
movement need not be purely sinusoidal.

Martin

--
Donald L. Ekhoff
CTO/Owner

This message (including any attachments) contains confidential and/or proprietary information intended only for the addressee.
Any unauthorized disclosure, copying, distribution or reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited and may
constitute a violation of law. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately by responding to this e-mail,
and delete the message from your system. If you have any questions about this e-mail please notify the sender immediately.

Posted by: Don Ekhoff <ekhoff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>