From: dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, August 20, 2014 11:25 AM
To: dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [DML] Can I install a steering column bushing in backwards

Hi Mike,

I don't know if it's just me, but the DML emails seem to have been delayed by several days...

Anyway, I don't think you could install it backwards because I can't imagine what would hold it in place.  Also, the idea of cutting a bushing seems counter-intuitive.  I would suggest your best option is to just get the POR-15 solvent, and do it the right way.  I'm assuming the part that is seized is the U-joint to the splined steering column shaft?

Changing the bushing isn't bad at all.  It's only a few bolts and a plug to remove the steering column from the car, replace the bushing, curse for 5 minutes because you keep collapsing the column when you try to put it though the bushing, then eventually reattach to the U-joint on the steering shaft.

Just make sure you precisely mark the joint to the shaft before you disassemble or you'll have to waste time straightening your steering wheel.

Jake Kamphoefner

1063