[DML] Re: Full Size DeLorean Window Installation

[DML] Re: Full Size DeLorean Window Installation

Justin,

Good questions.   A number of people have asked me these same questions over the last 17 years.  Here is my response to these questions.

"1) I'm not sure many people would be interested in this update since it seems to be a lot of work for a car not driven often. Even if some owners use their cars daily, I think the DMC population that uses their cars daily is a very small handful."

Driving a DeLorean with full size windows, all the way down, is a totally different driving experience.   Not quite like a convertible, but soooo much better than stock. That claustrophobic feeling is gone. And you can do things, like go thru a drive through, without opening your doors.   And being able to wave to people and not appear hidden behind a dark window, you will be amazed at how much more attention your car gets. Like even having the police drive by and say "88 mph!".  (were they telling me to speed?)

It is somewhat similar to putting power windows in an old car.   Just a so much better and enjoyable driving experience. Evening cruising with the windows down, and the wind flowing past you while you drive,  that is what driving used to be about. Just like riding a motor cycle- but much safer.

Yes, it is a lot of work.  But, nothing really good was ever easy.   At least in my opinion, it is more than worth it. AND so did John Z. DeLorean!  He  really, really wanted the windows to be able to go all the way down.  He lamenting about how frustrated he was at his engineers was interesting-especially 20 years later.

"2) If DMCH (or anyone) would pick these up for "factory installation", would they need any kind of DOT certification? Lexan windows are fine for race cars, but in passenger car use, safety glass seems to be preferred due to the way it shatters where Lexan could potentially be dangerous."

Lexan/polycarbonate is actually safer than prestressed glass windows. That is why it is used in race cars.   Further, DOT windshields have a Plastic layer (laminated and prestressed glass) in them to help retain the passengers in the car.   The only car that ever ALSO had laminated glass in the side and rear windows was the Ford Edsel.   The Edsel was Ford initial attempt at making cars safer.   So they used "safety glass" in all the windows.

3) Am I going to sell them?    If someone really wants them.

Hope to see you at DCS!
We are also planning to offer rides to people in the 2015 Electric DeLorean with full size power windows at DeLorean Weekend 2014.

Bob