[DML] Full Size DeLorean Window Installation

[DML] Full Size DeLorean Window Installation

It has been 17 years, since I put full size power windows in the 97 DeLorean Time Machine.
As some of you know, John Z. DeLorean sat in this car and repeatedly tried and operated the
windows.  He was amazed how well they worked and frustrated that his engineers could not
do this.

During these 17 years, I have been slowly make additional sets to install in our other DeLoreans.

Since I retired last year, I have been able to find more time to work on this project.

Last year, I was able to find time to build an fully operating demo unit of the drivers side door for DeLorean Weekend 2013.
One can look inside the door to see how it is designed and installed and operate the window.

One question I had over the years was how much of a weight reduction occurs in the door when
installing the new windows.  I never measured this 17 years ago.

Well, last week I started the installation of the full size window in the drivers door of the 2015 Electric DeLorean.
I removed the glass window and associated parts and compared them to the weight of the
replacement windows.

Since the replacement windows are Lexan, a weight reduction was expected.   It turned out to be
a total of 10 lbs.  per door.   I will, of course, have to readjust the torsion bars to account for this
significant weight reduction.

I will be at DCS talking about DeLorean Weekend 2014 and will mention this full size window installation
project.

Bob

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional