[DML] Re: Driving DMC on salted roads --- Plasti Dip

[DML] Re: Driving DMC on salted roads --- Plasti Dip

It's when they are as one unit(bolted together) that you may have a problem..
Heck I used to pull off the Delorean black Bodies without cracking the windshield.. at four points around the roof area..
Not saying that you will crack the windshield every time....but you risk cracking the windshield..
Since the frame is mild steel and DOES flex when jacking it up..and that flex gets transferred to the black body..
For example..say you are jacking up the drivers front, with a floor jack on one corner(with the doors open)..that flex energy gets transferred through the black body..and with the doors open..the transfer CANNOT go through the now open doors.. since they are no longer part of the flex energy absorbance..but that flex must travel through other means..like the windshield pillars..(where you risk cracking the windshield)and through the metal roof box and also the lower H.D.Foam filled frame rails..instead of through the doors acting as a rigid member in conjection with all of the above...to absorb that flex..where it then sends it to the roll cage.

If you notice when a Delorean is in almost ANY accident..there will always be black body damage or frame damage or a combination of both and in the majority of the time the windshield will also be cracked...BUT the majority of the time the doors will open up just fine..because of the stated above.

Claude
1024
Bric

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Tom" <dmctom@...> wrote:

> Claude,
>
> I believe you over estimate the flexibility of the body and the importance
> of the door to provide overall stiffness.
> After hearing all those stories about cracking a windshield when lifting a
> car with the door open I was always very careful when jacking the car up. I
> always made sure the door was closed and that I didn't leave anything inside
> the car so I didn't have to open the door with the car up in the air.
> Recently though, I have proved this not to be true. It's more of an urban
> legend.
> My car is currently sitting with it's frame removed. To make things even
> worst the rear window glass is missing after my workshop accident. I've
> heard stories that the rear window is also a structural piece and needs to
> be in place for safe door operation. I tried keeping the doors closed for
> when I was in the process of frame removal afraid the windshield might
> crack. As it turns out the frame has NO effect at all. I did some tests and
> with the frame removed I've lifter the body on one corner to see if that
> will affect the operation of the door. There was absolutely no change.
> I can safely open and close the doors with the car supported on just two
> corners. There is no change in geometry of the body. If there was the door
> would bind and would be difficult to open/close. Since I didn't notice ANY
> change I can safely say that the operation of the door does not have any
> effect on forces present on the windshield.
> I will do some more testing as I have two cars with cracked windshields. I
> will try to lift the car and twist the body with the doors open to see of
> there is any effect at all. But, I am not afraid of cracking my windshield
> anymore. I work on my frameless car with the doors up without any fear.
>
> YMMV, of course...
>

> Greetings from Poland!
> Tom Niemczewski
> Vin 6149 plus 2418, 3633, 5030, 16473, 17086
> Google earth: 52°25'17.66"N, 21° 1'58.40"E
> www.deloreana.com

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: