Re: [DML] Driving DMC on salted roads

It isn'r really true that typical cars of the early 1980s were robust to salt damage. It was common for otherwise pristine cars of the era to be trashed in 6 or 8 years due to rust. It wasn't until the 1990s that modern metallurgy finally cracked the problem.

BTW: although I agree with everyone's comments about letting your car rest during salt season, I do not agree that it is either necessary or desirable to start the car periodically during the hibernation.  No harm will come during a winter's rest and starting the car tends to cause condensation to accumulate in the exhaust, causing it to rust from the inside.    If you choose to ignore this advice, be sure you bring the engine up to full operating temperature whenever you start it.

--Pete Lucas
VIN #06703