From: mike clemens <rmclemns@xxxxxxxxx>
Sender: dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2013 13:04:42 -0700 (PDT)
To: dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
ReplyTo: dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [DML] STARTING PROBLEMS

Okay, got one that has me stumped.  First, some history.

This car has not run in 8+ years.  It was stored inside with ethanol gas in the tank--first big mistake.  I pulled the fuel pump, drained the tank, and cleaned the entire inside.  I installed a new fuel pump with the John Harvey pickup and return (no more rubber hoses to deterioate).  Next I flushed the entire system from the fuel pump to the mixture control using 93 octane gas.  I pulled the plugs, cleaned and tested 4.0.  I pulled the fuel injectors, cleaned and tested.  Good 35 degree spray pattern on all six.  I purchased a new battery and was ready to big test.

After several trys, engine caught and ran at ran rough at 2000 rpm.  It wouldn't idle and I shut it down after about 10 seconds to check for any leaks.  All checked out dry so I tried to start again.  Would not start, although it was always right at the verge of starting.  I pulled the plugs and injectors and recleaned them.  Put it all back together and tried again.  Started again, but I had to keep the rpm above 2000 or it would try to die.  Had tons of white smoke coming out the exhaust, but that cleared after about 15 seconds.  After about 15 more seconds, I shut it down again to check things.  Again everything looked good, so another try at restart.  No matter what I did could I get it to start and every try produced a strong fuel smell at the exhaust pipes, so I slept on it last night.

This morning,  I tried again.  After cranking for about 5 seconds, it started but wouldn't run at less that 2000 rpm and had black smoke coming out the exhaust.  Let it run for about 10 minutes this time to warm everything up.  Car appeared to be missing the whole time.  Started pulling plug wires to see if I could isolate misfiring cylinder(s).  Pulled #3 first (firing), then #2 (firing), and then #1 (firing) but didn't get it back on quick enough and engine stalled.  Would not restart.  Pulled all six plugs and all six covered with black soot, indicating very over rich condition.

I know this has been long, but my question is  "where do I go from here"?  The car won't idle, it appears to be running super rich, and it won't start a second time after running for any period of time.

Mike   TPS    1630