Re: [DML] an excuse to buy a delorean

So is buying from the DMC Dealerships pretty much a ripoff? I don't think I've ever seen a car cheaper than 32k there.

-pb

On Oct 2, 2013, at 1:02 PM, William Thorpe <uwant12@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Well stated and absolutely true Jake!

My D is used for car shows and organized Delorean road trips when you are more in the "mind set" to share it's marvelous history and uniqueness with total strangers.

If there is a Delorean for 32K, it must really be special or pre-owned by some very famous persons.

Bill in Indy

Sent from my iPad

On Oct 2, 2013, at 2:26 PM, Jake Kamphoefner <jake.kamphoefner@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I have driven my DeLorean almost daily for about 10 years.  Even with the great experience I have had, I would never recommend it as an only car.  Here's why:

- People constantly are bothering both you and the car.  There are days when you don't have time to be stopped at every point during an errand run.  There are also times when the attention it draws is not desirable (imagine the reaction you get when a load of drunk people walk out of a bar and see a DeLorean on the street).  -Even sober people will fingerprint up the stainless, pull on the door handles, engine cover, and other ridiculous things while you are not next to the car.

- It's not a good winter car.  While not the worst, it is not very good in snow, and driving on salty roads will quickly ruin the  frame (among other things).

- There is very little cargo space.

- No matter which iteration you buy, it's still over 30 years old.  As such, as the others have said, the buy-in price is only the beginning of what it will cost you.

The next time you get asked to drive to a questionable neighborhood for your college buddy's birthday party, you'll wish you still had a 1994 Buick that would go completely unnoticed.

Jake Kamphoefner
1063