[DML] RE: Fire damages vintage auto - News - Standard Speaker

[DML] RE: Fire damages vintage auto - News - Standard Speaker

This was my car.

I was traveling to a wedding with my fiancee Lauren. About 30min in the trip a truck in front of us slammed on his brakes. Making me slam on mine. When accelerating hard the car felt like it loaded up on fuel (3.0 swap).

I smelled unburnt fuel and seemed to have a misfire. I pulled off to the side and left the car sit for a moment. I then was able to start the car without any issues. Once the on the road a few moments later it happened again.

Lauren turned to me and said she smelled smoke. It then began to come in the cabin behind the passenger side seat. I looked in the mirror and saw the bumper on fire. I pulled over and yelled for Lauren to run and call 9-11. I pulled out my fire extinguisher and ran to the back of the car. The fire was located above the muffler on the bumper above the crank. the wiring began to bubble going under the overflow bottle. Something in the bumper was on fire. I'm guessing the smoke was from the wiring? But at this point all the electronics had worked. It looked as if it started at the bumper though. I tried with no hope to put out the fire which was spreading slowly. My extinguisher ran out so in desperation I grabbed dirt and rocks ans started toss it on the engine/bumper. However the fire by this point was getting to large and an of duty cop had to get me away from the car because i was determined not to let go.

The pictures speak for themselves. car didn't make it and i failed to save it. Hopefully it will be salvaged. Not a lot is left. Pictures make it look better than it is I think.

At this point no one knows what caused the fire, should know soon. 5898 is to be taken and investigated to see what is wrong. I really want to know what happened.

Darryl

5898

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, <delorean@...> wrote:

More reason to have an extinguisher in your Delorean!   This was not a DMA member car but hopefully the owner will be able to save the car!

http://m.standardspeaker.com/news/fire-damages-vintage-auto-1.1556386