[DML] spewing gas

Well, that was interesting.
Took the D for a wash. Fortunately I had decided for the first time ever to take it to a lazy wash (they dry it) so I wasn't getting out on a wet wash bay where the liquid would not be visible, and would go down a drain. Took a whiff. Yep, gas is pouring out under the car from under the area of the filler neck. Fortunate too, the car was not real hot.

I pulled over, shut it off and stood a distance off. Debating what next. Flatbed it home? Try to fix it here? I had Rob Grady's number, but I would consider it rude and abusive to call him on his own time, rather than in the shop. Much less on a holiday weekend. Unless it was truly a dangerous emergency. Then again, I was seriously concerned I was about to have a leather-lined super-sized Hibachi  grill. Rob helped me out, explaining that it almost certainly a fuel line on top of the fuel pump. It was. The plastic inner liner was broken clean through. Yikes, how does it not short out the pump when it's completely submerged in gasoline including the electrical contacts? I dunno. Anyway, I cut off about 2 inches of ten year old hose and reconnected it. No leaks. I got home just fine. But now I can't say to my wife, "Waddya mean, you don't want to go in the DeLorean. You're afraid we'll get stuck somewhere. It's NEVER left me stranded anywhere!"  And I was planning to drive it an hour to the shore this afternoon. *Sigh*   Note to self: a DeLorean emergency kit needs a knife.

-Wayne

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: