[DML] LAST CALL for sign up - DMA Summer Fun Run 2013

[DML] LAST CALL for sign up - DMA Summer Fun Run 2013

This is the last call for the 7/20/2013 DMA Summer Fun Run sign up. Today, 7/15, is the last day for signing up.

We are going to meet in West Chester, PA at a popular Cars & Coffee held at Starbucks in Dilworth Plaza. There's a pretty eclectic mix of cars that show up at this weekly event, from exotics to classics, so here's a chance for the DeLoreans to show up in force and represent.

Our plan is to grab an informal lunch at Nino's Pizzeria Ristorante next to the Cars & Coffee, but there are several good choices for lunch in the plaza.

The 50 mile driving tour will depart from the Cars & Coffee and start with a scenic drive through the back roads of the historic Brandywine Valley of Pennsylvania, dipping down into Delaware, then head to Philadelphia with some amazing views of the Philly skyline, the stadiums and the SS United States moored at Pier 84 among other city sites.

Our point of interest stop will be a guided tour of Eastern State Penitentiary, a 184 year old former prison and national historic landmark located in the Fairmount museum and arts district of Philadelphia. The complex is massive with 15 connected cell blocks that spread out over ten and a half acres. It's surrounded by 30 foot plus walls that occupy one full city block. It's currently maintained in a state of "preserved ruin", with some specific key areas restored. It's one of the most fascinating places you'll ever visit, and best of all, it's considered to be extremely haunted. It's been featured on Ghost Hunters and many other similar shows.

Following the tour we will be having a formal club dinner at McCrossen's Tavern near the Penitentiary for those who wish to join in.

Parking in Philadelphia for the Penitentiary and dinner will be in a commercial parking lot right next to the prison where we will have adjoining spaces reserved for us. The lot is clean, well maintained, fenced in and there is a lot attendant on duty. In my opinion this lot seems safer than parking at your local mall, and there are a few Corvettes stored in the lot. I street parked a new BMW next to the Penitentiary and left it unattended all day and had no issues. This is a museum and arts district. While Philly is a rough town in general, this area is not a Camden-esque ghetto. If the dinner location does not fit your taste, there's a huge selection of restaurants in the area you can try, or even depart following the tour. The event is pretty flexible.

I think this year's SFR will be one of the most interesting and unique. We would love to have you join us if you have not yet committed.

See you on Saturday!

Dan Wilson
VIN 16192
Activities Director