Re: [DML] I'm a colossal nitwit.

Do yourself a really big favor. Shit-can that Ducellier and get one of the big amp upgrades from DMC or John Hervey or Grady. That Deucy isn’t worth the trouble and it is likely the root of most of your problems in the first place. (That would also still be true if it was in perfect working condition as well so rebuilding it won’t help you.) They are worthless from the get-go.  Just way too weak for the job. Just my two cents worth.......
Steelwings

From: JP Hindin
Sent: Monday, July 08, 2013 10:50 AM
To: dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [DML] I'm a colossal nitwit.

So, first step in figuring out where my voltage was going (for the low
voltage at the fuel pump and apparently alternater voltage not getting
'into' the car), I decided I was going to go on a cleaning binge and pop
off all the terminals I could find (within reason) and start scrubbing
things up to get some good contact and blob some dielectric grease.

I started with the alternator, whose B+ terminal was quite badly rusted. I
wire-brushed it, WD40d it, let it soak for a half hour, WD40d it again,
and then promptly sheared the bugger.

I have the original Ducellier alternator in it, and there's a guy local to
here that rebuilds alternators, generators and magnetos, so I figured I'd
pop it off and have him replace the stud. Here began a MASSIVE pain in the
neck to pull it. The other bolts were easily undone, so no harm there, but
I just COULD NOT remove the clip that goes into the brush module. I
couldn't even figure out if I was supposed to pinch or pry apart. After
literally dismantling the alternator under the car and removing the brush
module entirely, I figured it out (the clip was slightly warped, which
meant it required a massive amount of pressure to release)... but since I
was under the car, holding the alternator up by one hand and in huge
amounts of pain so the whole alternator wasn't hanging from the brush
module clip wires... as I'd already undone it thinking I'd just flip it
over and it would be "obvious" how to remove it and was carrying its full
weight... well, it would be fair to say I was in a rush.

I don't suppose someone could take a picture of the back of their
alternator and post it so I can figure out where to mount the noise
suppressing cap? I remember the ring connector goes around the B+, but I
can't remember where its base mounted.

Oh, and of course, AFTER removing it, I discovered that the B+ terminal
has a pair of 1/4" shims on it - so I didn't need to remove the alternator
at all, I could've just removed one of the shims and tidied up the sheared
end. (At least this way I can clean the heck out of everything easily,
but, wow, what a lesson).

<groan>

- JP

<*> Your email settings: