Re: [DML] Re: She starts (painfully), she runs (mostly), she doesn't go

Re: [DML] Re: She starts (painfully), she runs (mostly), she doesn't go anywhere...

Elvis is right. A simple calculation of the voltage, current and resistance
can easily prove this.
The resistance of the fuel pump stays the same and voltage will change.
Let's see what happens with the current.
This is just an example as I don't know the actual resistance of the pump.

Let's assume that ideally the pump runs at 12.5V and its resistance is 1.5
ohm. A simple formula of I=U/R (current = voltage divided by resistance)
will help determine the current. Thank you Mr. Ohm ;)
I = 12.5 / 1.5
I = 8.33
So, under ideal conditions our example pump will use 8.33 amps.
To calculate power use we can multiply voltage by current. Thank you Mr.
Watt ;)
P = 12.5 * 8.33
P = 104.125 Watts

Now, if the voltage drops due to bad connections, weak battery, failed
alternator the result will change. So, lets assume that the voltage at our
example pump drops to 10.5 volts.
I = 10.5 / 1.5
I = 7
The current drops to 7 amps.
And the total power....
P = 10.5 * 7
P = 73.5 Watts

You can check my math to make sure I got it right.
As you can see from these calculations if the resistance stays the same and
the voltage drops the current will drop with it. As a result the power use
will drop and the power OUTPUT will drop as well. This means lower fuel
pressure and lower fuel volume. As some point the engine will simply stall
because of lack of fuel.

Greetings from Poland!
Tom Niemczewski
Vin 6149 plus 2418, 3633, 5030, 16473, 17086