Re: [DML] Re: She starts (painfully), she runs (mostly), she doesn't go

Re: [DML] Re: She starts (painfully), she runs (mostly), she doesn't go anywhere...

Have you updated your fuel system?  If not your fuel pick up hose may be collapsing starving your engine for gas. There is a new one that is alcohol resistant. If you replaced the fuel filter with a new Bosch filter, get rid of it and put in a Wix or other equivalent. Internal changes in the Bosch filter caused me nightmares until I figured out what it was. Check your voltage at your pump while it is running. It should be at least 12.5 volts. Check contacts and grounds if it is not. Lots of fuel system issues happen before you even get to the K Jet system and are relatively easy to fix so I would check them first.

Ian Yanagisawa

On Jun 14, 2013, at 10:06 AM, JP Hindin <jplist2008@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Fri, 14 Jun 2013, Welmoed wrote:
> > Allowing a car to reach operational temperatures by merely idling is not the right way and even can be destructive in the long run.
>
> This seems to fly against conventional wisdom. What makes you say this?
>
> > The D can start and run reliably if not neglected over a long period of time.
> > Of course during a winter period it's difficult to find the right moment to give her a proper spin.
> > In such cases better prepare the car for long "sleep".
>
> I was under the impression the KJet requires fairly regular fire-ups to
> move the gas through the system and keep in a working state. It seems to
> me that when it's left idle (as in, non-running) is when Bad Things
> Happen.
>
> If a 'long sleep' requires draining all the fuel out of the system, it can
> be done, but it's certainly inconvenient. (My 43 year old Ford with
> massive twin side-draught carbs - /Italian/ carbs no less - does not
> require nearly as much pampering)
>
> > For now:
> > - check fuel quality and if not sure, drain the tank or add fresh fuel to see if that helps.
> > - check everything involved that cause your hot start problem.
>
> I drained the entire fuel system last year and cleaned out the tank by
> hand, so unless Iowa gas degrades over six months, it should be fine.
> Prior to my purchasing the car the entire system was pretty much replaced
> excepting the Warm Up Regulator. Which I suppose I could do to round-out
> the system.
>
> So what's the solution? How do you keep this system operating reliably
> over the long term?
>
> - JP
>
> > --- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, JP Hindin <jplist2008@...> wrote:
> > >

> > > My DeLorean has a hot-start issue that I've not bothered dealing with yet,
> > > so it usually only gets out for 30 minute runs out-and-back. Last time it
> > > was on the road was probably December. Over the Iowa winter I'd fire it up
> > > once a month, generally, a let it idle for ten minutes to get the moisture
> > > out of the oil. I've been waiting for nice days in the summer, but it's
> > > rained a LOT out here, so I haven't started it up in maybe three or four
> > > months.
> > >
> > > Usually it's a bit of a pain to start. Lots of fire and die and then
> > > eventually it'll settle into a clean idle and run like a champ.
> > >
> > > Yesterday I got in to take it out because it was finally a nice day and it
> > > was a real bear to even get it to idle, and after at least five minutes of
> > > crank-fire-and-die, it settled into an unusually lumpy idle, but ANY
> > > throttle input would cause the engine revs to drop to the point of it
> > > dying. As such, I was unable to actually go anywhere because the best it
> > > could manage was an idle.
> > >
> > > Is this a common issue with the KJet that I've yet to come across in my
> > > nine months of DeLorean ownership, or should I be concerned?
> > >
> > > Thanks all;
> > >
> > > - JP
> [...]

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional