Re: [DML] Moderated Posts

I would like to make a suggestion:

Back in the good old days, the most common action that the moderators took was not aimed at individual posters or at messages--it was aimed at TOPICS.   When things got out of hand, the topic in question would be closed, and closed to everybody. IMO, this smacked less of censorship than targeting individual messages.   I realize that we have moved to selective moderation and I understand the reason.   However, it occurs to me that this is not incompatible with topic-level moderation.   I propose the following policy:

1) Normal message flow continues to be immediate and unmoderated.
2) Moderators can declare a topic "closed".
3) It is unacceptable for anyone to continue a closed topic.
4) Anyone who violates rule #3 is given one warning and then placed on the "moderated" list.

It seems to me that this would solve the current problem without drifting any farther toward fascism.

What do you think?

--Pete Lucas
VIN #06703

On Aug 22, 2012, at 7:19 PM, mrlduet <mrlduet@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Cheer cheer Paul, this is a free speech forum isn't it, nothing vulgar or abusive is coming from Bill's keyboard, just facts. If anything the others involved (who I will not name) are being abusive to Bill. I feel they should be moderated, it no no one should be moderated if its not vulgar or offensive!
> What happened to everybody's views being respected if presented in a respectful manner.
> Bill breathes life into this mailing list with his updates and mods. He is NOT telling anyone to ditch their kjet for a carb.
> Free speech /=/ moderation
> Hmmmm..
>
> Just my thoughts, let Bill be Bill It seems it's the ones who are pissed at him that are downright mean to him and need to be warned. They are like bullies, Bill can't even help someone with a kjet issue without others turning it into a carb thread and biting his head off.
>
> And why does it bother them so much? Let people be who they are, do what they want and post their achievements , after all , all his postings are about the company, the car, and the man....what this list is based on, not pointing anger at some one who does what you wouldn't think of doing
>
> Just my six cents..
> .

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional