[DML] Re: Delorean Owner

Just like any technology it gets simpler to understand as new technology gets more complicated..meaning at one point a Model A ford was a very high tech complicated vehicle to work on.... today we look at the engine/drivetrain in a Model A Ford as very primitive technology.

Heck..When I first started working/rebuilding Deloreans in 1982,(on a Delorean that was at the bottom of Long Island Sound)the fuel injection system was very mind boggling to me..now I see it as a very simple system,just like the rest of the car.

Bottom line the Delorean gets easier to understand..as more complicated and advanced technology comes around in the automotive world..we look back at the Deloreans workings as very primitive..sort of the Model A of the 1980's

Just like I look at the technology between my Bricklin and a Delorean..the Bricklin being the Model A in Comparison to a Delorean..(in the engineering only)but in 1975 it was high tech.

Claude
1024
Bric

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "content22207" <brobertson@...> wrote:

> DeLoreans are 30 year old niche automobiles now. They are as unfamiliar to most mechanics as Studebakers. If an owner can not do his or her own work but is dependent upon third party mechanics, he or she could well have an unhappy ownership experience.
>
> To blithely say "don't worry, your particular part of the world is still full of people ready, willing and able to work on your car" can do a novice owner more harm than good.
>
> Several years ago I helped a new Canadian owner convert from K-Jet for that very reason: he couldn't find anyone to work on his mechanical fuel injection (the original intention was to convert to a fuel delivery system that was familiar to mechanics in his area, but he ultimately ended up doing all the work himself). Of course an owner can work on K-Jet himself as well, but the end result is still the same: you turn your own wrenches rather than paying someone else to turn them for you.
>
> Bill Robertson
>

> --- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "jtrealtywebspannet" <jtrealty@> wrote:
> >
> > Bill, I mentioned Corvettes only because they used a mechanical system, I never said it was like the one in a Delorean. It was brought up as an example of how few were in use on American cars but there were *some* in use. I have also gone to a Volvo dealer to see what they had and if they could still work on them. They had the tools and there was still one older guy there who remembered how to work on them. The service manager said he did not want it in the shop because they had no parts and could not warranty the work. I mentioned Volvo dealers because it may still be possible to have them work on the car, it depends on each individual shop's service manager and how bad they want the work. Not the best choice but if you are not handy yourself and are not near a Delorean shop, where do you go? Obviously if you are able to do your own work, have the tools and a place to work, that is probably the best option. Not everyone does. Fortunately we have SpecialT, other Delorean shops, and this Forum to help Delorean owners anywhere in the world. If you can't find a local shop or a Volvo dealer there are many small resto shops that would work on the car with help and advice and parts from someone like SpecialT. You make it sound like everyone who could work on a Delorean with K-jet is either a Delorean shop or is dead or dying. Not the case by a long shot, at least not yet.
> > David Teitelbaum

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: