[DML] Re: New member introduction... and fuel tank query

[DML] Re: New member introduction... and fuel tank query

Hi JP,

Welcome to the group of DeLorean owners.
I'll try to be short in my replies:
- maintenance cover screws: they are available from the various DMC locations (if I'm correct: 5mm type, no longer original though).
- fuel tank gunk: that's a cleaning job that can be performed with the tank in place. Do a search on "cleaning fuel tank" here, or on DMCTalk and you will find a lot of useful info.
- AFAIR, the rod in the tank is to prevent sparks from static build-up. This rod supposedly is brass, but I'm not sure of that.

Hope this helps.

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, JP Hindin <jplist2008@...> wrote:

> Good morning all;
>
> My name is JP and I am, as of Friday, a first-time DeLorean owner. I have
> purchsed chassis #4157, with (if you trust the odometer) 6043 miles on the
> clock. I am the fourth owner, the previous owner was my wife's grandfather
> who purchased the vehicle in the early 90s. The car has spent this period
> mostly in storage, with sporadic trips out of a nice garage. I spoke to a
> mechanic who went through the entire fuel system last year so I know
> someone has worked on it recently, however I'm not entirely confident of
> their skillset, and naturally I wanted to be certain it was all in tip-top
> shape myself.
>
> Saturday morning - I removed the tyre, pulled the MDF cover (which is
> missing all its bolts), and discovered a complete bodge-job. The wiring to
> the pump has been very badly repaired (the +12v had literally three pieces
> of wire spliced in). Upon removing the pump I found the rubber seal it
> lives inside is torn, although not too badly. And the tank is full of, no
> surprises, gunk.
>
> After draining the tank I've discovered that something in there is
> -rusting-, which is where all this crap is coming from. I've removed the
> sender, of which the tip is a little rusty, but inside the tank,
> apparently under the smaller hose next to the fuel inlet hose, there is
> some kind of metal rod that reaches into the back of the tank. I -think-
> this smaller hose goes to the vapor canister, but I cannot work out what
> this metal rod belongs to. The break-out pictures on DeLorean.com's part
> store don't show it, nor does my 'DMC-12 theory manual' (or whatever you
> call the book that tells you how it operates).
>
> Can someone explain to me what this thing is and how to remove it, and
> what to replace it with? Obviously it's only going to continue filling the
> tank with garbage until I get it spruced up.
>
> Thank you very much to all;
>
>  - JP
> Hampton, Iowa

<*> Your email settings: