[DML] Re: Grounding.

I'm new to this amusing little thread, but confess that reading it is much like watching a train wreck.  I do wish that you would leave my name out of your discussions unless you are willing to confirm all the facts first.  I have *NO* issues with my stock Delorean's electrical system and EFI playing nicely together, even with my large audio amplifier.  Never have. Dave M. helped solve an A/C compressor noise issue that was causing an alternator light flash and radio blips, but a simple capacitor/diode solved that problem.

My grounding is to the engine block, all in one spot, as close to the Megasquirt unit as possible.  No additional ground bus in my car, but I have indeed ensured that the one 4 gauge strap from the battery to the frame was replaced after 30 some odd years of corrosion and exposure to the elements.  Anyone that believes their crimped on ring connectors are still electrically or mechanically tight on their old cables is insane.  I did reconfigure the + side minimally in that I commoned the battery, the alternator, the starter and the + supply post to the car together on one bar in lieu of the + post in the engine compartment.  No more daisy chain.  Others have indeed found that something in our cars interferes with the spark control features of Megasquirt (using the new 3.57 board, not 3.0 like mine) and not the fuel control portion.  It could be a more sensitive circuit.  I do not have the benefit of having crawled over their connections, cables and grounds like mine, so I won't make any arm waving generalizations on them.

Lastly, I'm curious.  What is the difference between all grounds going to one post (per stock schematic) before being carried on 1 wire to the battery terminal, versus 1 wire coming off the battery, running longer but with the branches then coming off it?  Is it ultimately not the same; many into one?  Gauge change is one thing, but the shorter the distance traveled on 1 singular wire versus multiple smaller gauge wires is better in my mind, not worse, isn't it?

Perhaps it is the tight bundling of wire with both + and - in proximity to one another over long straight stretches that induces cross talk and noise?

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)