[DML] Re: Inadequate DeLorean Grounding Identified (Big Red Circle)

[DML] Re: Inadequate DeLorean Grounding Identified (Big Red Circle)

Again you get it wrong. The capacitors are NOT there to make up for any inadequacy of the grounding system of the car. They are there to remove any noise on the electrical system that can interfere with the radio's reception. There is PLENTY of capacity on the ground side PROVIDED the connections are clean. When the cars were much younger there were no issues with the electrical system that pertained to the ground side. What changed? The cars got older and connections corroded, especially on the cars that were subjected to weather. Older computer systems were VERY sensitive to grounding. You had to be careful not to create what was called "Ground Looping" so they all used what was called single point grounding and even that had to be handled very carefully. Most of that was overcome by software that did error checking and correction and sending packets (bunches)  of information. Different circumstances than an automobile's wiring system which uses the wiring mainly for power.
David Teitelbaum

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "content22207" <brobertson@...> wrote:

> Single point isn't the problem. Most cars only have one point to the battery itself. The problem is only seven ground wires leading back to the rear bulkhead bolt -- there simply isn't enough wire on the negative side. There is a terrible disparity between electrical cross section on the positive side and on the negative side. That is why the DeLorean electrical system is so ridiculously noisy (which is giving the EFI boys fits BTW: the only way they can get their Megasquirt modules to work right is by regrounding their cars too).
>
> The nice people at Lotus/DMC stuck capacitors all over the car trying to quiet things down. They would have had better results with the 1981 equivalent of $50 of battery cable and copper connectors.
>
> What cracks me up is the DeLorean mantra of "cleaning your grounds." You can't clean the junctions -- they are soldered together. The problem that they are dirty -- the problem is that there are too few wires joining them together.
>
> Marc, David, Martin, Harold, et al have managed to tie themselves in knots over this issue. I choose to stand with Rob Grady, Dave McKeen, and the owners I have assisted, who not only clearly recognize the problem for what it is (it takes a brave man -- or a naive one -- to claim that the DeLorean electrical system is not problematic on its best day), but who also are just plain more mellow about the problem, and about its remedy.
>
> Do you like turtles?
>
> Bill Robertson
>

> --- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Stephen Rice <stevedmc@> wrote:
> >
> > This reminds me of old BNC computer networks.  Back then the whole
> > network was dependent on one wire.  If a break in the wire occured it
> > could render the entire network useless.  Then Cat5 ethernet
> > connections came along.  You could cut the wire to any single
> > workstation and the rest of the computers could still connect to the
> > computer.
> >
> > I have no idea if single point grounding is still in use but it would
> > make sense to abandon it for a better technology just as they did with
> > BNC networks when everyone switched to ethernet.
> >
> > -Steve Rice
> > #16510

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional