[DML] Re: Mystery capacitor

Improving the grounding system in the Delorean is completely separate from what the capacitors do. One has very little do do with the other, they serve different purposes. I agree that just about every system on a Delorean could be improved but that is not the point. The car was built to serve a certain niche in the marketplace and for that you can only spend so much money to build it which sets the price point to sell it at. As bad as the grounding system is, if it is properly maintained (keeping corrosion to a minimum) it is adequate. Most Deloreans do not have big problems even after 30 years. The caps do help but the main problem was the radio, it is by today's standards a piece of junk. Complementing the caps to reduce interference are all of the bonding wires that connect the metal body panels. On many cars I think most of them are missing, broken, corroded.
  What system is next on your hit list?
David Teitelbaum

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Martin Gutkowski <martin@...> wrote:

> On 01/07/2012 16:12, Tom Niemczewski wrote:
> >> - Coil
> > ** Ignition system needs a capacitor in order to create a spark. Has nothing
> > to do with the noise suppression.
> .
> Hi Tom, the DeLorean ignition system is inductive, not capacitive (hence
> "coil"). I think Bill's referring to the supression cap which is mounted
> to the wall next to the coil and connected to the coil +ve
>
> Martin

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: