From: Nick Kemp <nkemp@xxxxxxxx>
Sender: dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2012 19:31:13
To: <dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [DML] Re: DeLorean Engine w/ regard to 3.0L swap

When I replied I was replying in the context of the job at hand and it
was not intended to imply that it was a simple job. So lets talk about
it in terms of relative effort:
- Have someone rebuild the existing engine *HARD*
- Replace with a good 2.8 *HARD*
- Replacing with the 3.0L engine as per your comments *HARDER*
- Replacing with something that does not bolt to the bellhousing *HARDEST*

- Rebuild your own engine ... I couldn't decide if it should be *harder
*or *hardest*.

I've removed the engine & tranny once and the tranny one more time.
Those are not easy projects in absolute terms.

Bob Villa used to say something like ..."make an estimate of cost & time
.... double the cost and quadruple the time". It works for car projects
as well.

FWIW I have a 3.0L in the garage, 18K miles (supposedly), a lot less
that $350 and the only engine management I'd consider is something that
I could tune myself and likely it will be a MegaSquirt. The stock engine
management computer is interesting only in terms of its simplicity...
after one figures out a good alternative for the trigger wheel (which
you also need with MegaSquirt) ... but again I'm talking in relative
terms. I suspect performance would be "sorta adequate maybe".

Nick

Matthew wrote , ----On 6/16/2012 11:26 AM ---------------------------:

> I have to smile every time I see the domestic 3.0L PRV referred to as
> "plug and play!", "drops right in!" and "easy as it gets!" This is
> almost always from someone who has only made a cursory visual
> comparison between it and the stock 2.85L engine. I suppose the
> excitement also comes from the fact that you can find a 3.0L from a
> junkyard for around $350.
>
> The 3.0L as it came from the donor car uses a special trigger wheel
> attached to the flexplate for the automatic transmission, which was
> the only option available. Since you won't be able to use the
> automatic transmission (not without substantial machine and
> electronics work, anyway), you can forget about using the stock 3.0L
> computer. Theoretically you could make a similar trigger ring which
> would bolt to the DeLorean flywheel, but for all of that effort,
> trying to use the stock computer would still leave you severely
> handicapped should you ever need to troubleshoot a rogue sensor,
> misfire, etc or other weird problem. There is no way to connect a
> laptop to it to see what's going on. Also bear in mind, that there is
> no stock ignition or fuel table for the 3.0L available. Until you have
> the car dyno-tuned (around $400), it will run marginally at best, but
> will be streetable after some initial seat-of-pants tuning.
>
> Now that we've settled on aftermarket engine management, (which will
> cost between $300 - $1500+ depending on how much you want to have to
> screw with it), you can worry about how it "bolts in." This will
> entail stripping the 3.0L engine down to where you can remove the
> lower crankcase and swap it with the DeLorean lower crankcase, oil
> pan, oil pickup, and baffle assembly. This will let you mount it the
> same way the 2.85L did. Sound easy? Yes, but don't make a mistake.
> Failure to properly torque the main cap bearings correctly will ruin
> the engine. Failure to precisely align the lower crankcase with the
> block (yes, there is "play" in it) will mean that you could crack your
> bellhousing when attaching it, or have oil leaks from the timing
> cover. Failure to properly clean and apply anaerobic sealant between
> the block and lower crankcase will mean oil leaks there, too. Failure
> to reinstall/replace the rubber o-rings at the oil pickup will mean
> you never get the proper oil pressure.
>
> Now that the engine is mounted in place, time to drive the car, right?
> Nope. You don't have spark or fuel control, for one. This is where
> things get interesting. I have seen many variations, but all will
> require access to a machine shop ($85/hr here). If you don't mind
> attaching sensors with hose clamps, or can do your own machining,
> fine, but otherwise figure about $1200-$2000 in odds and ends that no
> one ever thinks of at first. This includes several custom brackets,
> whatever method of getting a trigger you choose (i suggest a crank
> trigger), new or cleaned injectors, new spark plugs, new plug wires,
> [...]

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)