Re: [DML] Photos: DeLorean Lower Steering Geometry

Re: [DML] Photos: DeLorean Lower Steering Geometry

Apologies for the bandwith. At Martin's request, Message #85260 in its entirety:

"Flexible steering couplings reduce transmission of road vagaries to your hands
on the steering wheel only. They do not affect overall vehicle ride. Flexible
couplings keep the steering wheel smooth and steady no matter what kind of
pavement, or lack thereof, the wheels are traveling over.

Just like the flexible coupling in a Rover SD1, the one I put in #5939's column
worked perfectly for the task intended. Unfortunately the input shaft of a
DeLorean steering rack is pointed towards the driver fender, not straight back
towards the firewall. This caused the flexible coupling to deflect towards the
high side A/C hose as the U joints went through their wild gyrations (as pointed
out in Message #85253, the lower U joint really twists and torques as the column
rotates). I did not trust it not to eventually hit my A/C hose and damage it, so
I pulled the Borgeson column out and put the factory column back in for DCS. I
am not driving to Florida without A/C.

Tomorrow I will order a vibration reducing U joint from Borgeson. In theory it
works as well as a traditional rag joint (it certainly can't work *WORSE*, from
a vibration isolation standpoint, than an OEM U joint). I will reuse one of the
standard U joints and the new vibration reducing U joint to make another lower
steering column with a solid shaft that can't deflect towards the A/C hose
between them.

Just like the U joints advertised by Houston and Martin, Borgeson's U joints
have sealed bearings. Borgeson's connecting shafts are nearly 50% larger
diameter than an OEM lower column. And of course you have the option of all
stainless construction (Borgeson also sells carbon steel construction for about
20% lower price). I am bringing the removed column to DCS if anyone wants to see
what the components look like first hand.

Had there been enough clearance to locate a flexible coupling at the end of the
column (most likely adjacent to the *UPPER* U joint -- it contorts much less
than the lower U joint) it probably would have worked without threat to the A/C
hose.

I am blazing new territory here. Some trial and error is to be expected. By next
weekend I will know if the second attempt is a finalized long term solution, in
which case I will have what is likely the only DeLorean in the world with a
vibration isolated steering wheel (just like nearly every other car of its era,
as well as decades preceding and following).

Bill Robertson
#5939"

Bill Robertson

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Martin Gutkowski" <martin@...> wrote:

> I can't access message numbers unless I power up the PC, please quote. More often than not I check your referenced links and find them wanting.
>
> You're finding fault where there isn't one and "fixing" it with an unnecessary addition.
>
> To anyone thinking this is a good idea, I would say that a delorean with healthy suspension bushes, decent tyres and joints and tracked correctly, the steering is as smooth as silk.
>
> On the flip side, I've driven DeLoreans with the plate under the square rack bracket missing - it makes the steering really squirrely and I reckon Bill's "addition" could have the same effect.
>
> Martin
>
> Sent from my BlackBerry®

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional