[DML] Re: Cut keys and decoding at DCS

Bill, you are missing the point. Many people may not be bringing their car to DCS but if they only bring their keys they can avail themselves of James's offer and get some code cut keys. If you have worn keys or keys that have been duplicated and not cut by code this is a chance to get some properly cut keys. We are not talking about someone who is locked out or some other kind of emergency where you have to call a local Locksmith. At the very least they can get their key "read" and put the code away for future reference. Some people try to prepare for problems ahead of time. I didn't say fitting a key by impression is going to damage a lock, it is just if you are making a key by impression in a worn lock you are going to wind up with a cr-ppy key. BTW, any good Locksmith CAN disassemble the lock and not damage it. Most will advise against that and recommend replacement. They know it is cheaper to replace an old, worn lock than to spend the customer's money trying to repair it.
David Teitelbaum

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "content22207" <brobertson@...> wrote:

> Taking the ignition lock cylinder out and opening it up is most likely to damage it. Simply wiggling a key blank then filing away the marks isn't going to damage anything -- the tumblers move up & down on tiny springs as even a cut key slides in and out. If your lock cylinder is so dysfunctional that it won't accept a blank, it isn't going to accept a cut key either.
>
> I'm not arguing against spare keys -- I always travel with one in my pocket simply because my original has an unusual cut that requires the shoulders to be filed off an X29 blank -- just against the suggestion that a *COMPETENT* locksmith needs to take the cylinder out of the steering column and open it up to make another key.
>
> Note that the keycode above the headliner is not a universal code -- only DMCH can interpret it. If you take that keycode to an independent locksmith he won't have any idea what it means -- something to keep in mind if you need a key cut outside of DMCH's business hours. Also, even if DMCH cuts a key, it still has to be mailed to you. I'm not talking about getting a spare key at DCS'12 -- I'm talking about problems, especially while you're on the road or away from home, the other 362 days of the year.
>
> Bill Robertson
>

> --- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, james@ wrote:
> >
> > I've seen locksmiths screw up the internals of this now "no longer available" part. I'm not saying its not possible to do as Bill relates, but in my experience in regards to DeLoreans, its the exception rather than the rule.
> >
> > IMO, sometimes locksmiths are like many mechanics - they think they know more than they do, and while well-intentioned, they'll make things worse rather than admit they're in over their head.
> >
> > Knowing your ignition keycode - particularly if you have an early, two-key system where the code is not likely to be written under the headliner - is great insurance.
> >
> > James
> >
> > Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional