From: "jtrealtywebspannet" <jtrealty@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2012 23:14:54
To: <dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [DML] Re: Rear Engined Porsche 911 w/ Flexible Steering Coupling

Welding is not an automatic reason for failure (at least in the US). It is not good practice, the usual way to repair broken or damaged suspension and steering parts is replacement. Properly done welding is acceptable although there may be the need to show that it was done by a certified (read experienced) welder. Properly done a welded part can be as strong or even stronger than a non-welded part. BTW, if it is acceptable to weld a frame to repair it and the frame is critical to a safe car, how is that allowed? Obviously there has to be some common sense used.
David Teitelbaum

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Martin Gutkowski" <martin@...> wrote:

> I don't know if it's the same in the US but welding on steering components is an instant safety failure here (although this isn't widely known). It would be illegal for me to offer a welded steering shaft for example.
>
> Martin
>
> Sent from my BlackBerry®

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional