Re: [DML] My Suspension is better than Bill's

Re: [DML] My Suspension is better than Bill's

I would also check for slop in the steering rack. I replaced mine after finding an excessive amount and the vibration stopped, not to mention improved tracking and steering.

Ian Yanagisawa
Work 713.420.7361
Cell 832.868.9147

On May 3, 2012, at 3:32 PM, "jtrealtywebspannet" <jtrealty@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I would add to the list a through visual inspection of the tires (take them off and look for flat spots, cord showing, ripples, missing weights, etc) and the date code. If the tires are over 7 years or the tread is close to the wear indicators it is time to replace them. Run your hand over both sides of each tire and the tread. If you feel lumps, bumps, or waves the cords have shifted in the tire carcass and it is bad. You can also rotate each tire with a stick alongside to see if anything is bent. I agree, the only place for NCT's anymore is when the car is being judged in a Concours. They are dangerous to drive on. I would also be cautious of the spare. If you ever have to use it I would drive very slowly and cautiously to the nearest safe place. Looseness and play won't cause vibrations but anything that makes vibrations will just get magnified by worn, loose parts. As long as you are doing this inspection it is a good time to lubricate everything underneath.
> David Teitelbaum
>
> --- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Michael Griese <mike.griese@...> wrote:
> >
> > There are several things to check if you are having front end vibrations -
> >
> > Ball joints (upper and lower)
> > Steering rack ends, play
> > tires
> > wheel balance
> > brake disc runout
> > front wheel bearings
> > bushings-all of them
> > lug torque
> > shocks
> >
> > and as noted, the rear end influence front end behavior, so as long as you are
> > checking out the front suspension, do an inspection of the rear as well.
> >
> > And NOBODY should be driving around on NCT's anymore.
> >
> > --
> > Mike

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional