From: dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
content22207
Sent: Tuesday, April 24, 2012 12:36 AM
To: dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [DML] Serious Megasquirt Question

"For anyone unhappy with the stock K-Jet and contemplating some kind of
conversion going with a carburetor wouldn't even be on the list of
possibilities."

Curious -- I have helped 15 owners other than myself (2 cars) do that very
thing. Certainly seems possible to me....

I pass by dead cars on the side of the road all the time. To state that cars
don't die on the side of the road is just plain ridiculous. Are you driving
around with your eyes closed?

If cars aren't dying on the side of the road, what is keeping AAA in
business? Can't be the folded paper maps they used to sell.

Bill Robertson

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:dmcnews%40yahoogroups.com> ,
"jtrealtywebspannet" <jtrealty@...> wrote:

> There are so many single point failure modes for an automobile that it is
simply impractical to be prepared for ALL contingencies. You could blow a
C/V joint, ball joint, TAB, tie rod end, fuel line, alternator, and on and
on. You take care of the car as much as you can and do your PM. When all
else fails you have a 3A card or keep a bicycle on a luggage rack. Properly
installed you probably have a higher MTBF with electronic ignition and fuel
management than with most of the other systems on the car. If you are going
to drive a 30 year old car you had better have a back-up plan! From my
experience with automotive electronics, they seem to have gotten VERY
reliable, much better than they were 30 years ago!!!!!!!!!! In the majority
of cases if you do experience a problem the motor will still run, not well
but still run. Many failure modes will fail into a "Limp Home" mode. You are
correct, if you do lose the controller you are screwed, extremely rare. I
have seen it in flood cars. It can also happen if you jump the car and do it
backwards. Is EFI more complicated than K-Jet or a carburetor? You Betcha!
It is also a LOT more reliable. For anyone unhappy with the stock K-Jet and
contemplating some kind of conversion going with a carburetor wouldn't even
be on the list of possibilities. BTW, if you are thinking of doing an engine
conversion you WILL be using EFI. Unless you are considering going to steam!
Heck, EVERY electric car is run on computers and you don't see them dying on
the side of the road. And airplanes, trains, elevators, etc.
> David Teitelbaum
>
> --- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:dmcnews%40yahoogroups.com> , "Owen"
<omalbec@> wrote:

> > What is your contingency plan today should your stock Ignition Control
Unit craps out (it is 30+ years old after all)? Or your stock RPM relay? Or
your fuel pump? Or.... we can play this game all night. It doesn't matter
one iota if your fuel delivery is mechanical if your spark control is
electronic.

> > I for one believe that whether one is K-Jetted, carburetted or EFI'd,
AAA or classic insurance with towing package is probably a prudent
investment. I don't care what your fueling mechanism, if you lose your spark
control, you're screwed.

"content22207" <brobertson@> wrote:

> > > I mean controller replacement. My little brother had to replace the
onboard computer in his Oldsmobile not too long ago. For some reason the
thing died while he was at work.

> > > Onboard electronics do die. I helped a DeLorean owner last year whose
Bosch ignition module had died (his dead ECU donated the harness connector
for the adapter my Duraspark module is using).

> > > All electronic devices are subject to failure. It is unrealistically
optimistic to claim that one's own devices will never fail. If I was totally
dependent upon an onboard controller for my fuel delivery, I would
definitely have a contingency plan.

"DarkStar Media" <darkstarmedia@> wrote:

> [...]

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional