Re: [DML] EFI Conversion Kit

For some reason I haven't received the DML Digest in several days. I got one today and see there is a full blown spirited discussion on the EFI. Since my car is one of the cars being discussed, I'll throw in my 2 cents worth.

When we started this project, our goal was to convert two cars to EFI leaving the engine as stock as possible and removing what was no longer needed. We knew from the start that our cars would be prototypes. We knew there would be trial and error. We're hoping that others will be able to learn from our mistakes and experiences.

There have been sidline issues, especially with my car, that have slowed things a bit. There have been several of the "while we're in there let's fix this issue". Issues unrelated to EFI. I can't speak for Owen's intent, if any, to create EFI kits for Delorean but I can speak of other qualities. He's has been extremely helpful and hard working or this project. The work he has done has been outstanding and high quality. He and Ian have been great throughout the entire process.

As far as providing a standard map that anyone can copy into their Megasquirt, I think it can be done. As someone else pointed out, you can take a standard map and then fine tune it for an individual car. Also, to correct one statement made on this board, my settings were not copied from my Megasquirt and put on another car resulting in failure. We played around with numerous settings, some of which fialed and some of which worked. We are still learning about the various setting of the Tuner Studio program. I also want to point out that my car is an automatic and Ian's car is a five speed so we are going to have differences in our programs. Once finished with our projects, we can have setting that others can use as a starting point for their car.

What is the status now? As I mentioned there has been a lot of trial and error. Both cars are currently running. I'm planning on driving my car around tonight to do more fine tuning. We are not complete with our project. We are finding an issue with the current Megasquirt board (version 3.57) that is affecting the car in some ways. Surprisingly, the older version, 3.0, runs very well on our cars so we're running down the differences. We're in talks with the manufacturer to diagnose the problem and come up with a solution which I believe will be forthcoming soon. Once the issue is resolved, we will be done except for the fine tuning of the cars under various settings and loads.

I recommend going to EFI for anyone who wants the challenge. It's been our hope that by our experience others will be able to convert much more quickly and easily using our experience as a guide.

Shannon
VIN 16113 EFI

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "content22207" <brobertson@...> wrote:

> Not my problem -- Owen's problem.
>
> I'm just updating EFI enthusiasts (including those who claim that one owner can perfect a fuel map that others simply download -- see Message #84497) of Owen's current progress.
>
> Owen gave the impression earlier this year that a simple bolt on EFI conversion for DeLoreans was right around the corner. Development time appears to be longer now.
>
> Bill Robertson

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: