[DML] Re: Overheating, idle speed and stalling issues

[DML] Re: Overheating, idle speed and stalling issues

If this didn't happen before you worked on your cooling system, the chances it is a head gasket are small. Unless you didn't realize it with all of the other cooling leaks. Check in the oil fill and see if the plastic screen is still there and if it is melted. If it is there and NOT melted that means it is even less a chance of a head gasket as the source of the problem. I hesitate to suggest Magic in a Bottle to "fix" a leaking head gasket. I HAVE used Barr's Stop Leak but only to temporarily stop coolant leaks such as a leaky radiator. Much harder to stop a leaky head gasket, much higher pressures, WAY more than 15 psi. Doing a test for combustion gases is non-invasive and not expensive so it can be worth going for it. Before doing that you can pressurize the cooling system and check for leaks. Pull the spark plugs and see if you get any coolant into the cylinders. If you pressurize and lose coolant, it is going SOMEWHERE! Check the oil level in the crankcase too. If it goes up you have a leaky liner seal.
David Teitelbaum

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Stephen Rice <stevedmc@...> wrote:

> I've been down this road and have had a head gasket leak before.
> First you need to do a combustion gas test to see if you really do
> have a head gasket leak.  The kids in AutoZone will have no clue what
> you are talking about if you mention this test but you can order a kit
> online fairly cheap.
>
> Here is a video on how to do the combustion gas test:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QA7KVQq9vKA
>

> If you do have a head gasket leak you might be able to patch it using
> a product designed for this.  I tried a product called ThermaGasket
> and had temporary success with it.  This product requires you to
> remove all coolant and replace it with water.  I suspect I still had
> some coolant in the system and this might be why it didnt work.  They
> had a product guarantee but I didn't mess with it.  I think they only
> warranty it for 30 days and my leak came back after then.
>
> Another product out there is SteelSeal.  It will cost you $90 and they
> will refund your money if it doesn't work.  If it doesnt work they say
> they will give you a refund if you send them a mechanics written
> estimate for repair.  I wish I would have tried this product.  I don't
> think you have to drain your coolant to use it.
>
> Scotty Kilmer has a video on how to use SteelSeal.  Check it out.
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YL9QjN7AcW8
>
> -Steve Rice
> #16510
>
> On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 11:53 AM, jedimasterglenn
> <jedimasterglenn@...> wrote:
> > Hi Everyone,
> >
> > Thanks for the input.  I'll take my car to my mechanic and have the coolant pressure tested and will look into the other suggestions offered.  I should have mentioned that before I replaced the cooling system, I wasn't having the overheating issue (I was having the other idle-related issues).  I replaced the cooling system because my water pump had a small leak, a cracked fan blade, old radiator, and most of the hoses were original.  I can't seem to win with this car...
> >
> > Andy:  Otterstat is pointed downwards as it should be.
> >
> > Thanks Again,
> > Glenn
> >
> > --- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "soma576" <lienan82@> wrote:
> >>
> >> Glenn,
> >>
> >> Everyone else is probably right, but one quick question for the fans - do you have your otterstat pipe oriented so that the switch and wires are on top of the pipe or is the switch pointed downwards?...

> --
> Steve Rice
> #16510

<*> Your email settings: