Re: [DML] Overheating, idle speed and stalling issues

Re: [DML] Overheating, idle speed and stalling issues

Hi Glenn,

The three issues are not separate as you might believe.

1. This sounds like bad news. Your findings point to failed head gasket.
There is a way to check that without taking the engine apart. Get a cooling
system pressure tester with a gauge. Install it in place of the cap on the
overflow bottle and start the engine. Keep an eye on the pressure in the
cooling system. If you see it rise quickly you have a blown head gasket.
Another way to see is to simply remove the cap and look inside the bottle.
If you see lots of small bubbles come up you have a leak.
Yet another way to check is to test for exhaust gasses in the coolant. Ask
at your favorite auto parts store.

You are correct about the fans. They should pull the air from the front of
the car through the radiator and push it towards the rear of the car.

2. The seeking indicates wrong CO2 setting. This might be caused by blown
head gasket but it might be something else like plugged injectors, old spark
plugs, old or incorrect O2 sensor, bad spark plug wires etc.
It runs smooth when cold because the lambda system starts "listening" to the
O2 sensor when it gets hot enough. Before when the sensor is cold it runs in
open-loop without actually adjusting the mixture.

3. Stalling when shifting is related to number 2 and might be caused by
number 1 issue.

As you can see this is probably just one problem that manifest itself in
many ways. Start with making sure the head gaskets are good and not leaking
and go from there.

Good luck

Greetings from Poland!
Tom Niemczewski
Vin 6149 plus 2418, 3633, 5030, 16473, 17086