From: dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
content22207
Sent: Friday, April 13, 2012 11:53 AM
To: dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [DML] Re: Why Owners Carburete Their DeLoreans

Both Rob Grady and Dave Swingle have told me personally that they have no
objection to working on a carbureted DeLorean. Rob has even referred
carburetion inquiries to me. Rob also absconded with John's car at DMA SS'10
and was giving owners rides in it (he and I discussed the conversion over
supper -- he was very supportive of it).

The argument that DMA vendors won't touch a carbureted DeLorean is a Red
Herring scare tactic with no basis in reality (at least insofar and Dave and
Rob are concerned).

K-Jet, on the other hand, may well be turned down by a third party mechanic
-- something to consider if you don't do your own mechanical work and live
far from Rob, Dave Baurle, or one of the DMC franchises.

The Motorcraft 2100 carburetor I use was Ford's frontline 2 barrel
carburetor (on engines larger than 171 cubic inches) for more than a quarter
century. It is extremely well known among Mustang mechanics, F150 mechanics,
T-Bird mechanics, Galaxie mechanics, LTD mechanics, etc. AMC also used it
for many years, and Chrysler went back to it on the carbureted Jeeps after
buying AMC. It is a very well known carburetor, still in extensive use
(extremely easy to buy parts for -- rebuild kits are stock items at all
parts houses).

I am willing to bet that the number of 2100's still in service likely
outnumber all K-Jet installations ever built.

Bill Robertson

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:dmcnews%40yahoogroups.com> ,
"jtrealtywebspannet" <jtrealty@...> wrote:

> Yea, and you aren't supposed to speed or talk on your cell phone while
driving. Unless you have to go through emissions inspection the chances of
the EPA police catching you are slim-to-none. They really don't enforce much
on a 30 year old car. Chances are most of the Hydro C you expel is due to
worn rings. In many States if you have Historic or Classic plates you aren't
required to pass emissions anyway. My main problem with converting to a carb
is that the K-Jet system is a good, reliable system. It doesn't have to be
"improved" by wholesale substitution. For all of the effort and money spent
on carbureating, you can get the K-Jet running correctly. The other issue is
serviceability. Not a big deal if you do it yourself but take it into any
Delorean shop and see the looks you will get when they open the engine
cover. It will also affect resale (at least if the buyer has ANY idea what
you did). The biggest problem with the K-Jet is that it doesn't store well
for long periods of time with fuel in it. If you use it at least
occasionally and replace any deteriorated rubber parts (mainly in the fuel
tank) it is very reliable. I suspect the carb'd systems will have exactly
the same problems if treated the same way. His claims that a carb will run
as well as a K-Jet are not enough reason to convert. Just so you have better
access to work on the car can't be enough of a reason. There is no system or
part on a Delorean that Bill R can't improve. He just hasn't had a chance to
do all of them.........Yet. The reader is well advised to contemplate ALL of
the ramifications involved with any modifications suggested or recommended
on this List. Ultimately it is up to the owner of the car what he wants to
do with it.

"DarkStar Media" <darkstarmedia@> wrote:

> > Scratch that quote from below... wrong epa... but you can google the

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)