[DML] Regarding Bill and the great carburetor debate.

[DML] Regarding Bill and the great carburetor debate.

I don't know about the rest of you, but this is me right now:

http://i.imgur.com/y8F8s.gif

On a more serious note, I'm actually going to defend the lively discussion that is currently taking place. I've not been a member of the list as long as others have, but I like to think I've "earned my stainless" having been a member since 2004. Over the years I've learned a lot from this mailing list; not just about my DeLorean, but about cars in general. I've seen several waves of debate regarding a variety of topics (for example, state your opinion on what the best engine oil to use is and watch the sparks fly). Bill Robertson's mods and his carberation discussions are the latest of these events.

I know not everyone likes Bill's mods. Sometimes it seems like it's the mods themselves that drive the ire of readers. Other times it seems like it's the manner in which he presents them, people saying he comes across as "Holier-than-though." Still others say that such discussions do not belong on this list. However, the fact of the matter remains that the tinkering he does produces options that other owners may want to pursue, improve upon, or explore further.

For me personally, before moving in such a direction I like to know what the implications of such modifications are. And that is what the lively debate serves to do. The recent discussion has made me aware and more well-learned of both sides of the carberation mod, allowing me to make a more informed decision if I ever choose to head that route in the future. The same scenario occured during discussion of engine oil and filter choice and allowed me to make an informed decision in my purchase.

Succinctly, I become aware of what options there are as well as their pros and cons. And if not for the discussions here on this list I would not be educated in them. I also became aware of the pros and cons (and flaws) of the car. My "rose-tinted stainless-steel glasses" were effectively removed by the discussions on this mailing list allowing me to better assess my vehicle. They did not scare me away or drive me off as some have stated with concern, but actually enlightened me so that I might make better decisions.

Where else am I to learn these things if not here? One might say "try DMCTalk." But I have also been a member there since 2004, and the frustration with these discussions arise there as well. But the discussion have been beneficial for me. And I'd wager that they have been beneficial for others as well. And that is why I defend the current discussion.

The one thing that I would ask of these discussions is that they remain just that, discussions, and not move towards flame wars. At the risk of drawing the ire of Bill and others (if I haven't done so already), allow me to offer my observations and a plea:

Often, when Bill initially posts a message what I see is a statement offering insightful and helpful information regarding an issue. This is followed by anecdotal or perhaps empiracle justification of a point and finished with an obligatory "I Carb" or "this car has flaws" statement. It's almost like a tag line or signature for him (to a certain extent, it wouldn't be Bill without it). In response to the anecdotal statement or signature, someone invariably responds with consternation, perhaps a little mocking, sometimes with outright anger and name calling. In return, Bill will defend his position, but often times in what feels like a passive-aggressive manner. If anger wasn't a response before his statement, it most certainly is now and is usally accompanied by defamation of character.

Wars don't escalate on their own, it takes both sides rattling the sabers louder and louder to do it. Bill, I'm asking that you be a little more considerate/tactful in your approach to stating your point of view. To those who respond to him, please don't do so in anger and start tearing Bill down, he has and does offer much to the community. To all parties: please respond courteously; if you don't agree, then do so in a respectful manner. I believe this will not only encourage members of the list, but reduce the amount of clutter and allow the list to play host to both problem-solution and topical discussions.

Reagarding the current issue of the fuel stoichiometry and the 3 way catalysts, obviously this is a point of concern. Is there a way that we can move towards a common point of knowing the truth about this, a way of gathering hard data? Is there someone with a carb willing to have their cat looked at over a time span to see what happens?

Waiting to get banned / "de-friended,"

-Kevin

VIN 2234

<*> Your email settings: