[DML] Re: Elvis Door Lock Module Upgrade
[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

[DML] Re: Elvis Door Lock Module Upgrade

Hi Jeff,

thanks for the feedback.

Of course it works fine, I've been using it for 10 years now
and modified at least another 30 units.

2 IMPROTANT suggestions:

1. install a 10A fuse in the fat red wire !!!!!!!

2. replace the realys !!!!!

The original realys suck ! I once thought I could reuse the old ones and got locked in the car...for 3-5 seconds until the fuse burned.
I'm not kidding - get that fuse in there, it's the most important thing !!
I haven't replaced my relays since I updated it 10 years ago, 
therefore I think it's just the original relays that can't handle 
the application well enough.

The "protector" I suggested back then is outdated. A simple fuse
does the job pretty good and is available everywhere.
BTW - on DMCTALK everything has been repeated several times. I should get the file on DMCTALK replaced, I know.

example for what I am using:

wire size 2.5...4mm² and a 10A fuse.

The transistors - If you had zoomed in to the pics you would have 
seen front and back.


--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "drjeffcooke@..." <drjeffcooke@...> wrote:
> Just sharing my experience with the Elvis Door Lock Module modification... installing two new resistors and two Darlington transistors.
> http://www.dmcnews.com/Techsection/pdfs/lockmod91.pdf
> Of course this is just my experience and yours might be different.  It is working great for me.
> Only three hold-ups in the process...
> - started with a soldering iron that would not get hot enough to melt the solder, so changed to another
> - taking care to remove the old components without damaging the other components
> - making sure the ECB connections on the transistor were the right way around.  The Darlington transistors were barely marked to be sure which pins were which.  Located the ECB markings on the circuit diagram, then referred to the Darlington transistor specification to get the pin outs.
> Total process took 1 hour.  If I had to do it again, it would be 30 minutes.
> Bought the components from Digi-Key
> BD681S-ND
> <$5 with shipping
> Other notable things...
> - The diode D4 (from the Elvis circuit diagram) was already blown in my module. I didn't replace it and just left it blown.
> - I didn't do the Door Lock Protector mod also described in Elvis' documentation. I'm fitting linear actuators from DPNW to replace the door solenoids.  I wasn't too keen on protector components heating up considerably as a means of protecting the solenoids.
> - I took a little extra time to clean up some of the soldering on the board. Since I was adding solder I didn't want to introduce a short.
> Jeff
> #6313


To address comments privately to the moderating team, please address:

For more info on the list, tech articles, cars for sale see www.dmcnews.com

To search the archives or view files, log in at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dmcnewsYahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:

Home Back to the Home of PROJECT VIXEN

Copyright 2006 ProjectVixen.com.  All rights reserved.

Opinions expressed in posts reflect the views of their respective authors.
DMCForum Mailing List Archive  DMCNews Mailing List Archive  DMC-UK Mailing List Archive