Re: [DML] Poll Results

How many people actively vote vs how many total subscribers is not relevant.  The poll was open for two weeks, and despite it being close in numbers, the "majority" who voted wanted moderation.    In an election not everyone votes, and the winner with the most votes wins.  Plain and simple.

Furthermore, what works best for you Bill, does NOT work for others.  The yahoo interface sucks, is old, and crappy.   I dont want digests, I want instant notification of what is being discussed delivered to my phone (By e-mail).   That is what works best FOR ME.

And, "just dont read it" is also crap.   I have to read a message a certain way thru before I can detrmine if it has relevance or importance to me.   The simple "Hit Delete" comment does not give any resolution.   It also allows me to keep an entire offline archive of messages on my personal computer too (which has proved useful when messages are deleted)

The fact is, in the past when the DML was moderated, it was on par with topics, no flaming, and NO SPAMMING.  I want it to go back to that.
MOderation did not kill the DML, the newer interface of DMC-Talk did.   When DMC-Talk went offline, its down time spawned new life into the DML.   Your rapid posting here on the DML after being banned from DMC Talk also drove up posting numbers, but as some point out, your posts are often off topic.

Kevin Abato
Vin# 16680

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "content22207" <brobertson@...> wrote:

> How many people read the DML? 46 users have responded to the poll thus far -- is that sample large enough to draw conclusions about total DML readership?
>
> Current poll results are still close to 50/50 anyway -- certainly not an overwhelming majority in either direction.
>
> Under the current direct-posting model, users still have total control over what they read. Just because a message is updated does not require a user to read it, even in a full volume digest (and as I've pointed out before, it is a very easy to pick and choose which messages to read in the online format). Some users have complained about advertisements in the Yahoo interface -- I simply choose not to even glance at those (they are so ubiquitous, on nearly all websites now, that I don't even notice them anymore -- I certainly don't read them).
>
> Mike just deleted a couple of spambot postings, so DML moderators still have the ability to keep archives in order as they grow day by day. If a user were to post something totally outrageous, moderators could delete that message as well. I've been poked by a few sharp sticks lately (Rube Goldberg anyone? Or Heath Robinson?), but to be brutally honest even those comments do not warrant deletion.
>
> As several moderators have pointed out, the DML was moribund under the old moderator-posting model. Direct-posting has at least made the DML an active place again.
>
> Bill Robertson
>

> --- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, james@ wrote:
> >
> > To paraphrase Mel Brooks - "Fuck the members!"
> >
> > I'm increasingly disappointed in the stewardship of the DML in the past few years. No real thought to the future, just the status quo (or worse, outright neglect). Personally, I would rather see it shut down, and only the archives preserved, than have it continue on as it is now.
> >
> > James Espey
> > DML Founder and Moderator, 1995-1999
> >
> > Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

<*> Your email settings: