Re: [DML] Re: Starting a DeLorean from the Engine Compartment

Re: [DML] Re: Starting a DeLorean from the Engine Compartment

I don't want to lump myself in with "you guys," but I presume that's what
you did. Therefore:

No. I do not think common sense is a joking matter. I do, however, assume
that everyone here possesses it.

And I DO think that, when doing ANYTHING automotive related, there are
certain qualifiers which are UNDERSTOOD even when NOT SAID. (Ask the
nearest English teacher about the "understood you" in a declarative
sentence.) These qualifiers include, but are not limited to, the following:

When working on anything electrical, disconnect the battery.
When working on the fuel system, relieve system pressure and disconnect the
battery.
When working on the air conditioning and heating system, make sure the
system is cold, relieve system pressure, and disconnect the battery.
When working under the car, use jack-stands or a lift; never use only a
floor jack to hold your car up. Also, disconnect the battery.
When starting your car's engine remotely, make sure the transmission is not
in gear (or is disconnected).
Wear safety equipment.
Have a fire extinguisher handy at all times.
Do not open the fuel system near an open flame or spark, and make sure the
battery is disconnected.
If you are doing anything remotely risky, have someone nearby who can call
for help if an emergency should arise.

And there are more. You can find them at the beginning of every workshop
manual, including Haynes and Chilton's. If you haven't read them and taken
them to heart, you're taking your own life, and possibly the lives of
others, into your own hands. This is COMMON SENSE when working on a car. I
assume that everyone has common sense, especially in the world of DeLorean
ownership.

So yeah, it's "kind of legit." Except for the "kind of," which I would
replace with "very," and "legit," which I would replace with "important."

Have a nice weekend!

Farrar Hudkins

On Fri, Mar 23, 2012 at 5:17 PM, soma576 <lienan82@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> **
>

> Nope, not kidding. Kind of a legit thing to mention. Even I have
> accidentally tried to start my car while it was in gear before. Thankfully
> there was nothing in front of me (used to leave it in first). Here's what
> happens when you aren't extra careful:
>
> http://www.deloreanclub.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=590
>
> I would hate to see someone run over. Or is that a joking matter for you
> guys?
>
> Andy

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional