RE: [DML] Moderation, yes or no? (was: Re: Limit users.)

RE: [DML] Moderation, yes or no? (was: Re: Limit users.)

As a member of the (currently idle) moderating team I’ll point out that I would have approved many of the most controversial posts by both Bill and Claude (and everyone else). Generally we have always allowed opinions and personal, first hand stories. But a lot of the noise we’ve been seeing centers on two areas that I squashed every day as an active moderator:

1)      Off topic messages. I would not approve messages about cars other than the DeLorean, or conversations about Back to the Future that have no bearing on the DeLorean. If you want to discuss these things find another forum. For example I would have rejected this message because it is about the Torino and the Grand Prix:

Videos of front end barrier tests of traditional metal body on ladder frame vehicles:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kfW_-8BdqA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEyjUiS65kc

Obviously air bags would have helped, because the vehicle stays mostly intact after the frame itself makes contact with the barrier, as would be expected.

2)      Meta-conversation. The DML always tolerated some limited discussion of the DML itself and its subscribers, but lately the level of this has become so ridiculous and unproductive that I would have stopped it. The message you are reading right now is an example of meta-conversation.

The Ad Hominem attacks are something new. Obviously they would be rejected by any active moderator.

I would be willing to resume moderating duties, and in James’s poll I voted in favor of doing so.

-          Mike Substelny

-          DML Moderating Team

-          VIN 1280 for 19 years