Re: [DML] Is there an alternate way to tension AC belt

Re: [DML] Is there an alternate way to tension AC belt

Steve,
Heli-coil is really the best fix for this repair.  They are pretty easy to work with, just read the instructions.  I had to do this on mine too, but it was the upper bolt that also goes through the cam closure cover.

When drilling, you'll be drilling through the clearance hole in the timing cover plate.  Drilling & tapping the hole is easy...take your time & keep both the drill & tap straight with the existing hole.  For the heli-coil, they flex/deform as they are going in.  Since you're working blind, you have to pay attention to make sure you get the coil fully installed before breaking off the tang.

-Use a 1X or 1.5X diameter coil.

-I believe it's a M7x1mm thread, so you will be installing it in a little over 7 or 11 turns, respectively.

-Listen for a light "snap" which will indicate the last part of the helix snapped into the hole
-TEST with the bolt to ensure it engages the threads before breaking off the tang.

It's fairly easy, but I would recommend practicing in a piece of junk metal first to VISUALLY see how they install if it's your first time.

Justin Mettee

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Stephen Rice <stevedmc@...> wrote:

> Thanks for the advice everyone.  I ended up going to NAPA and ordering
> a heli coil kit.  It should be at the store by Tuesday and I'll get to
> learn how to do this stuff.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: