[DML] Re: Charles's car

Apparently Charles' car was a continual work in progress. When I met him years ago at one of the DOA conventions in Las Vegas he showed me his car. He had removed the fuel mix unit, injectors and the "W" pipe from the intake manifold. The ends of that were capped and holes were made on the inside edges of the two square topped intake runners. He constructed a tube manifold which was installed between those air runners. On that tube manifold was a Fish carburetor mounted in a side draft configuration. Fish carburetors where sold in the back of magazines like Popular Mechanics for several years and Charles just happened to have one sitting on a shelf in his garage. They had only three moving parts and where advertised as extremely high mileage carburetors. He had driven the car from Pennsylvania to Las Vegas and said he got great mileage. He had also "unwrapped" the stock muffler and modified the inner baffles to flow more freely. Looks like he made further changes after that based on what Robert said.

Bruce Benson

I THINK his wife, Gladys, may still have the "D". Presuming, of course, Gladys is still with us. I haven't heard anything from that part of the country since Charles departed, though. (Penn.) He told me that he went to the salvage & acquired a carbureted intake manifold from a Volvo with the same 2.8 L engine. Interchangable with the "D's" OEM, then he did the appropriate mods, added the carb., and "voila", a carbureted Delorean! Indeed, I remember his claim of 30-32 MPG (5-sp). He gave me some technical info. some time back (can't exactly remember on what), in German that I have on file. A neat couple! He is missed! (As is Gladys) Drive Stainless (any way you desire) Robert VIN 6924

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)