[DML] Dual Exhaust.

Your first statement is correct.  If we are talking about the need to turn the crankshaft for a valve adjustment, dual exhaust will give better access.

Having done a number of valve adjustments, I can say with confidence that "pushing the car all over the garage" is an overstatement.  The amount of pushing needed is minimal at best.  It is for sure easier to push the car than redesign the entire exhaust system.  Heck (for automatic cars) it is still easier and cheaper to reinstall the stock muffler than custom make a dual exhaust system.  As often as people need to do a valve adjustment on their car, it is amazing that we are even discussing such massive modifications to make the job slightly easier.

Heat damage to the engine and fascia is not something I have noticed.  I will pay closer attention to this in the future and see if I agree with you on it.  I will let you know!  :)

As for the "cheap" dual exhaust setup, I think it sounds like crap.  A local owner in NJ is running your setup (Bill), and although he is happy with it now that we stuffed the pipes full of stainless steel wool (it was WAY too loud before), I find it a significant "downgrade" from the stock sound.  But, as you have pointed out (and I have agreed with you many times), all that matters is who's name is on the title.  He is happy, I am happy for him, but I don't think this modification is for the masses and it for SURE is not a reasonable solution to the problem of getting access to turn the crankshaft.

--- On Sat, 2/25/12, content22207 <brobertson@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> No one can deny that a gigantic muffler across the back of
> the car precludes using a socket wrench to turn the engine
> during valve adjustments. There are ways around that
> (including pushing your car all over the garage), but I
> think substituting dual mufflers mounted somewhere else is a
> better long term solution, not just for access but also to
> avoid heat damage to the engine and fascia.
>
> And yes, I think proper dual exhaust is an "upgrade."

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)