Re: [DML] Re: New SS frame

Matt,

The information contained in your post is not accurate.  DMCH did not acquire all of the SS frame plans, jigs, materials, etc from Pearce Design.

I am sorry if you felt that my response was terse.  My messages tend to be to the point without a great deal of extra narrative.

Further, my ego was not offended.  My engineering knowledge and those involved in the frame project are hardly relevant given the current state of the project.  I fail to see the need to rehash issues related to the SS frame as it is no longer in production.  As brief commentary, I will tell all that we did find two problems with the initial prototype frame that were corrected before production began.  The prototype frame currently has over 160,000 miles on it and is subject to regular inspection.  No further issues have been identified.

Bryan Pearce
Pearce Design Components, Inc.
www.pearce-design.com

On Dec 28, 2011, at 10:54 AM, Matthew wrote:

> Marc,
>
> From everything I've gathered recently, it is going to be very difficult to ever purchase another individual SS frame should you need one.  DMCH acquired all of the SS frame plans, jigs, materials, etc from Pearce Design, and indicated to me that they will not be offering frames for sale.
>
> If you want a new stainless frame, which they are not currently producing, Cameron told me that will have to bring your car to DMCH, and they will perform the swap.  Considering an SS frame costs at least $10,000, I would factor in at least $5,000 for labor and miscellaneous parts (bushings, ball joints, wheel bearings, etc), so the entire operation would cost very close to the price of another used DeLorean.  I wonder, Marc, how they would respond to an inquiry from you for such a frame swap, having your Nissan engine installed.
>
> Cameron also indicated that all of the steel frames are now being galvanized and powder coated.  Again, the same applies, where they will not sell you a frame, nor will they galvanize and powder coat your frame as a service.  You must instead bring your whole car, and they would perform the swap.
>
> I've contacted Bryan Pearce about this directly to explore the possibilities of making another stainless frame, and he tersely explained that the cost of producing another stainless frame from scratch would be very, very high ($50,000+++).  He did mention that "We did all of the engineering."  Not knowing who "we" is, my curiosity gave way, and I asked how he, with a computer science degree, became qualified to design and build an automobile frame in the first place.  Well, I believe this may have offended his ego, because he never did answer back.  Absent any additional explanation from him, it would seem questionable whether anyone should *want* to acquire a SS frame based on the Pearce design.
>
> My question is the following:
>
> Does anyone in the USA have a procedure for properly stripping and galvanizing a DeLorean frame?  I understand in the UK, the frames are baked in a zero-oxygen oven to remove the epoxy inside and out.  I have no idea where we would find that here as of yet.
>

> Matt

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: