[DML] Re: Bryan Pearce's Frames

You are correct in pointing out the whole construction of Brian's frame is different from the factory. In a Liability case it could be a major factor, especially if a critical weld broke and could be shown to be the initiating cause of a serious accident where someone is hurt. As for bolts, in the right place, used properly, they are not an issue, they use them in airplanes to hold them together too. I am NOT against anyone modifying their car. I am only trying to alert potential users of the dangers in doing so. Major modifications can have an effect on resale value and insurance liability and claims. Especially if you do it yourself. Imagine yourself having to give testimony under oath in a trial, one of the first questions is going to be about your qualifications (or lack thereof). Been there, done that, and it should give everyone pause to consider before modifying their car. The Delorean vendors will sell customers what they want, that's how they stay in business, not everything they sell is worth buying. Just because you bought a shiny new widget and installed it yourself doesn't mean everyone should. Speaking about the modification of your front suspension, the stock set-up is adequate for the majority of Delorean owners as long as worn, bent, or damaged parts are replaced as necessary. This is NOT a personal attack, only a comment about what you did on your car.
David Teitelbaum

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "content22207" <brobertson@...> wrote:

> With all the controversy about a simple front end upgrade, I wonder what Kayo and David think about Bryan Pearce's frames.
>
> Bryan uses a radically different trailing arm from the factory design (his attachment method is nothing at all like the original). His crumple extension is less compressible than OEM, and it is held to the frame with bolts rather than welds (bolts can shear). The panels that make up Bryan's frame are shaped differently, so his welds are located in different places. Of course he uses stainless steel rather than carbon steel. To the best of my knowledge Bryan's frame has never been crash tested.
>
> Bryan's lower control arms are welded up, not stamped like OEM. Again, they are stainless steel, not carbon steel. While not as heavy as Byrne's arms, they do weigh about twice as much as OEM arms. Same should apply to his upper control arms.
>
> I am pretty sure Houston equips it's frames with springs and shocks that differ from OEM spec, and Houston likely uses polyurethane suspension bushings rather than OEM rubber.
>
> With all the grief Kayo and David have been giving me about a simple front end upgrade (please leave carburetion out of it boys...), I would think that their position against Bryan's front to rear frames is 1,000 times stronger, but they have been curiously silent on the subject.
>
> Bill Robertson

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: